Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Killing distance

Old 02-04-2005, 01:35 PM

Default RE: Killing distance

Thanks for all the well thought replies.....

I live in the West and my last two deer were killed at 300 yards with my 25.06. My friends have been steering me toward compound bows for the greater range but they lent me a recurve and it was so much more fun that I went ahead and bought one.

The way I see it any animal I kill with my bow is gonna be a trophy and the bow extends my season and opportunities...

Plan on a ton of practice then alot of hunting...and maybe a kill as well.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

LBR.The reason I think that way and wont shoot 30 or 40yards is for Newbe to acquire a good tecnique before trying long shot.Like I said earlier, I can easily shoot up to 60yards but does a new bowhunter could try that without aggravation?.They will tell you that they are good shoot up to 30to 40 yards.You and I know that it is only the first shot that count
and being in a sitting or kneeling position for hours in the cold or rain . do not help accuracy.
To know if they are a good shoot.Take your bow,sit on a chair for an hour then,raise and tale a shot at a pie plate at 30yard.Do that every day, only one shot and you will be surprise how much it is hard to hit the center of the oie plate.That look like hunting situation.
Taureau noir
Old 02-06-2005, 07:56 AM

I'm new to archery (compound or long bow) as well. Last year i borrowed my brother in laws PSE bow, put all new equipment (sights, peep,..) on it. I practiced with it ,on and off all year until archery season. I got real good..in my humble opinion at 20 yd kill shots on a 3D deer, and 4 out of 5 at 35 yds. However during archery season I had a real nice 6 pointer walk within 50-55 yrds from me. Blood pumping, heart starts racing, I called him in a few more yards. Breathing heavy, blood preasure I know is going up, mouth going dry, knees a little weak as I stand up in my stand. He didnt see me, one more soft grunt brought him within 30-35 yds..easy shot I'm thinking. 15 feet up in tree stand, he's standing nealy broad side to me. I let go the arrow,.. it went about 1 inch under his chest in to the dirt. All the practice in the wold couldnt have prepared my for the rush i felt calling the deer in. I said all that to say its hard to compare a 35yd kill shot in my back yard on a 3D target to the real thing in the forest amongst trees and branches. Next time I'll call him in closer for a 20yd for sure kill shot
Old 02-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Now you know when I say I rely on 20yards or so.Target shoot is far from wild life shoot.
Taureau Noir
Old 02-07-2005, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

For deer, 20 yards max.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a Bear Grizzley 50# recurve that I have had for 30years; so I know my bow and I know what I can do and not do with it. I have taken deer out to 45yds. with it --- one shot kills. Someone in this post stated to let your internal computer tell you when to shoot and you will be fine. Don't take the shot until it does. That may mean passing up some shots even if they are close. I practice out to 50 yards with mine but usually wouldn't shoot at a deer that far unless that computer we were talking about tells me to. I find about 25 yards to be just about right for me and many times don't feel real comfortable with the real close shots even in practice. If you shoot enough you will soon know when to shoot---it will become instinct---trust it and you will become a shooting machine. My feeling is that with any shooting whether gun, bow, or throwing a dart is being absorbed in the visualization of the shot. Call it unconsious concentration if you will. Others may refer to it as becoming the arrow. Use your eyes and your mind will direct your body. You don't need a compound bow with lightning fast arrows to kill a deer; just put your arrow in the vitals and its lights out--no problem. Try a recurve bow; its lighter, easier to handle, and in my opion much more versatile than a compound. Sure the compound may shoot a little tighter most days but not by much. Try taking a quick accurate shot at a jumped from the bed deer or a running rabbit with compounds and recurves and you will see which is easier.

Mossie

"I live; therefore I hunt"
Old 02-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Fork Horn

Deer meat,

You have got to start thinking more like the predator that you are when you are hunting anything. Your mind is not in the right place if you are getting nervous when its time to shoot. Ask yourself this? Do you think a cat is nervous stalking a mouse? Do you think the coyote is nervous running a rabbit down? Of course not! They are predators; their lives depend on it. Deer meat---you are a predator; so start thinking that way and you will never be nervous again.

Mossie
" I live; therefore I hunt"
Old 02-12-2005, 09:17 AM

I agree with Mossie, live for the hunt not the kill.