Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 carbons and recurves??? >

carbons and recurves???

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

carbons and recurves???

Old 01-18-2005, 03:10 PM

Default carbons and recurves???

Can I shoot carbon arrows w/ my recure? I have heard that it's possible off the shelf if you put feathers on it? any truth to that. Don't get mad it's just a question!
Old 01-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: carbons and recurves???

Yes carbons can be and are used by many quite successfully. Just a matter of finding the right spine and weight that your bow likes...

Why so defensive?
Old 01-18-2005, 04:33 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

You can shoot carbons from a recurve (or longbow), and I reckon they will fly good as long as the arrow spine is matched to the bow. One thing you want to be careful of with carbons is make sure the arrow is heavy enough (mass weight) or you risk damaging your bow. I like to stay with at least 8 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight. For example, with a bow you are drawing 40 pounds with, you want an arrow that weighs at least 320 grains (total arrow weight).

There are even companies that are marketing carbon arrows specifically for traditional bows, and quite a few people are using them.

Chad
Old 01-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

Chad, I agree w/everything you said. Especially about the arrow weight...but, >cough< c-c-carbons out of a >choke< LONGBOW???????!! No way man!! Ppl don't really do THAT do they?[:-]
Old 01-18-2005, 05:04 PM

cause the last time I asked that question to someone they looked at me like I was tearing the second ammendment in two. I shoot an old bear recure 50lbs @28 in. I did purchace a bunch of cedar arrows from a guy out west. but after shooting them I don't think they had enough speed to use them in a hunting situation. Above anything else I want to hunt w/ a recure but it has to be effective and can harvest the animal cleenly and quickley. I do like shooting wood but I think it should only be at something that is not breathing.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:33 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Lol Vic--I shot carbons out of my first longbow (Beemans--those were the only carbon arrows around back then), but that was before I knew what "traditional" was! [8D] I'd probably still have some, but had to shoot wood to compete and just kinda took a liking to them.

Silverback, the difference in arrow speed is determined by the arrow's weight, not what it's made of. I agree we should use equipment that will do the job quickly and cleanly, but speed is only a small part of the equation. I know a lady in PA who killed a record book gemsbok (about the size of an elk) with a [email protected] longbow and wood arrows. Her broadhead stuck out the far side, the animal went about 65 yds and died.

A light arrow is fast coming off the bow, but looses speed faster. It also doesn't carry nearly as much momentum. One way to look at it--what do you think will do more damage--a VW Beetle travelling at 20 mph or a semi truck at 10 mph?

This debate has went on for quite a while, and I've read up on it quite a bit. I've been especially interested in it the last year or two, because I'm planning on hunting Asiatic water buffalo with a longbow. I don't think you will find any experienced dangerous game hunter (by experienced, I mean someone who has actually killed a few very big, very dangerous animals) that will reccomend a faster arrow over a heavier one on a thick-skinned, heavy boned animal. The reason is the heavier arrow will penetrate better. A ping-pong ball travelling at 75 mph will most likely just bounce off a thick glass window. A baseball travelling at 35 mph will break it. Momentum and retained energy is much greater in a heavier object.

The easiest way to prove it to yourself is take two arrows that are properly spined for your bow, that have the same diameter, same point, etc. and shoot them into a target of your choice. If everything is equal except the weight, the heavier arrow will penetrate better.

Chad
Old 01-18-2005, 05:44 PM

Buff!!!!!! with a stick!!!! YIKES I'll bet you that 2500lb. Lunatic won't care what you shot him with, he is still gonna be very pissed off. Good luck with that. Also thanks for the physics on weight and speed. I do see what you mean.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have no problem with you wanting to use carbon arrows, but I am concerned about your reasoning in favor of them. Chad laid out the counter argument pretty well. All that being said though, a lot of guys are using carbon arrows but they're weighting them with tubes, brass inserts, heavy points, etc in order to get their arrow weight up.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:51 PM

Why would you have a problem with me wanting to ensure a quick kleen kill/
Old 01-18-2005, 08:29 PM

Arther, the best way to gain knowledge is to ask questions. The answers will hopefully come from knowlegable people like Chad who want to see this great sport continue the way it's going. I want only to do my part and gain what you and others have, experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.