HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - carbons and recurves???
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 04:33 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: carbons and recurves???

Lol Vic--I shot carbons out of my first longbow (Beemans--those were the only carbon arrows around back then), but that was before I knew what "traditional" was! [8D] I'd probably still have some, but had to shoot wood to compete and just kinda took a liking to them.

Silverback, the difference in arrow speed is determined by the arrow's weight, not what it's made of. I agree we should use equipment that will do the job quickly and cleanly, but speed is only a small part of the equation. I know a lady in PA who killed a record book gemsbok (about the size of an elk) with a 47@26 longbow and wood arrows. Her broadhead stuck out the far side, the animal went about 65 yds and died.

A light arrow is fast coming off the bow, but looses speed faster. It also doesn't carry nearly as much momentum. One way to look at it--what do you think will do more damage--a VW Beetle travelling at 20 mph or a semi truck at 10 mph?

This debate has went on for quite a while, and I've read up on it quite a bit. I've been especially interested in it the last year or two, because I'm planning on hunting Asiatic water buffalo with a longbow. I don't think you will find any experienced dangerous game hunter (by experienced, I mean someone who has actually killed a few very big, very dangerous animals) that will reccomend a faster arrow over a heavier one on a thick-skinned, heavy boned animal. The reason is the heavier arrow will penetrate better. A ping-pong ball travelling at 75 mph will most likely just bounce off a thick glass window. A baseball travelling at 35 mph will break it. Momentum and retained energy is much greater in a heavier object.

The easiest way to prove it to yourself is take two arrows that are properly spined for your bow, that have the same diameter, same point, etc. and shoot them into a target of your choice. If everything is equal except the weight, the heavier arrow will penetrate better.

Chad