Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Broad Heads

Old 10-01-2004, 11:12 AM

Default Broad Heads

Two, three, or four blades witch is better. It seems like I am seeing more and more
traditional 2 blade heads. They look cool but do they shoot.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broad Heads

They look cool but do they shoot.
Why not pick up a pack and try for yourself. I have used them on every bow that I have owned including compounds and have never had a problem with poor flight. I have had some propblems with bleeder blades, but never non-vented two bladed heads.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:26 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

They don't just shoot, they penetrate. Not as large a hole as some people like, but if you put it in the right spot you generally won't have to trail it far. I got 7 5/8" penetration into the dirt last year, after a pass-through on my deer with a 2 blade Ribtek. Nicked a rib going in and coming out, deer went maybe 30 yds. before he surrendered.

Chad
Old 10-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Hello
Theres pro and cons to each. I've either shot two blade or four blade heads so those are two styles I'm familiar with. When penetration is needed, such as larger animals, lower poundage bows and when bone is struck, the two blade works the best. The problem with a 2 blade is that blood trails won't be quite as pronounced. If you make a marginal hit, like the neck or the paunch area, is when you wish you had a couple more blades for increased tissue damage and blood loss.
I shot two bladed heads for years but have of late gone to the four blade Magnus stingers. But now I basically just hunt whitetail deer and the four blade works nicely. One thing about the two blade, if you hit the deer in the boiler room and the blade doesn't hit a rib, often the deer will just flinch a bit like a bee stung it and drop over within sight. Once I thought I'd shot low under a nice buck until his head started dropping lower and lower just before he fell over.
happy hunting
Dan
Old 10-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been stuck on 2 blades, specifically zwickey eskimos for the past 14 yrs. I've had awesome blood trails to no blood trails at all (most instances we didnt even bother looking as we saw the animal go down).

I am a firm believer that more penetration is better on marginal hits more so then more blades and trying to create a bigger wound tract. I am sure my buddy will prove me wrong (hes the R&D for magnus broadheads), but until he does, I'll stick with what has worked for me.

They fly great, the big thing about arrow flight is proper spine PERIOD! Even out of fairly fast compounds 260-270's, I know guys shooting 2 blade heads and they fly perfectly!

One thing about guys with wood arrows...take the dang time to mount them right! I cant put to numbers the amount of guys I am seeing with heads on as crooked as horseshoes, then they walk out and complain they dont fly....well duh! LOL! Take those same heads and mount them on an insert with wobble coming out of a faster bow, you'll have the same problems.

Also a note on penetration, your first and foremost biggest loss of penetration comes from arrow movement usually due to wobbly arrows. Get those arrows flyiing straight with no wobble at all and you wont have problems penetrating even moose!!!
Old 10-04-2004, 01:24 PM

Big fan of two blade broadheads. I have been using Magnus brand 125gr and this year I switched to 100gr.