Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Black widow recurve??? >

Black widow recurve???

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Black widow recurve???

Old 09-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Black widow recurve???

Hi guys I am going to switch from a compound to a recurve. I have killed many animals with a compound and I think it is starting to take the fun out of it. I miss the days of practice with a recurve. I hunt Bear, elk, couger and deer and I am looking for a great fit for all of those animals, How do you guys feel about Blackwidow bows? are there better choices? what do you recomend? Thanks Rich
Old 09-14-2004, 08:16 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Black widow recurve???

The Black Widow recurves I have shot were very well built, felt good in the hand, and I was consistent with them. A good bow. I do not feel like they are worth the price, as I have shot a lot of good bows that, to me, were as good, maybe better. Bows that were cheaper and had a better warranty. Higher price does not always mean you are getting better quality.

Just starting out, I'd look around for a good used bow--you should be able to find a good old Pearson, Bear, Shakespeare, Root, Wing, etc. pretty cheap. A few reasons I say this: first, you won't know yet what you like or don't like in a bow, so ordering a custom made one is going to be tough. Lots of different choices of woods, lengths, styles, draw weight, grip styles, etc. You need to shoot for a while, maybe trade on a few bows, and get a feel for different ones and see what works better for you. Second, although I love it and don't want to discourage you at all, traditional archery isn't for everyone. If you buy one of the bows I mentioned, you will most likely get your money back if you decide to sell it. Black Widows do have a high resale value, but you are still looking at loosing $100-$300 (my experience)--enough to buy 1-3 or more of the bows I mentioned. Finally, you will need to start out light, but as you develop your form and your muscles, most likely you will want to move up some in poundage. Also, you may not be comfortable with the first bow you buy (back to reason one). Starting out used and cheap could save you a lot of money.

Black Widow does have a "try before you buy" program, but I don't think it's nearly enough time to know what you want just getting into it. It took me 4 years to decide on my first custom bow, and even then I changed my mind a time or two after I got it.

Good luck!

Chad
Old 09-14-2004, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

BW's are great bows, & while certainly not the least expensive, I've found that theirs is the most consistent shooting hunting recurve for ME. Now that doesn't imply they'd be best for you or the next guy, or that they wouldn't. We're truly blessed w/tons of fantastic bows these days (I know, I've owned a truckload of em), & only you can decide which one feels best, shoots best, & just plain ole 'trips your trigger' the best. Look around & take your time, but I highly recommend giving a BW recurve a try before you make your final decision.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:40 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I have to admit--Vic (arrosmit) does shoot his Black Widow VERY well. I think he could string up a broomstick and whip up on most of us though.

I should have added--there is no one bow that is perfect for everyone. If you ask enough people, you will find someone that will swear by pretty much every bow on the market, and someone else that will swear AT them--lol. One of the things that makes this sport so much fun--searching for THE one. Make it a point to go to some shoots, especially the bigger ones. At the big shoots, you will find dealers and bowyers that are happy to let you try out their bows. At pretty much any shoot, you will find trad guys that will let you try out their personal bow--just be sure you don't talk bad about their "baby" even if you don't like it. Just smile and say "thanks"--lol.

What part of the country are you from? Most all the bigger shoots are over for the year, but I figure we can hook you up with some come spring.

Chad
Old 09-15-2004, 07:26 AM

I agree with AS. If I did find a bow that shot consistantly better for me than a BW, I'd buy it even if it cost a little more.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:33 PM

Have to agree with Chad, Best bet is to buy a used recurve..There's a lot of good used bows out there for a good price.. Have had a BW recurve before, good bow.. but was not for me, so I moved on.. One you have the feel for the type of recurve you want.. then go the custom route.. However I know a few that have stayed with Martin, Jeffery or Bear and are quite happy.. It's what you like and what shoots good for you..

All the Best,
Calabash