Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Check Them Arrows!!!!!! >

Check Them Arrows!!!!!!

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Check Them Arrows!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2004, 10:43 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Check Them Arrows!!!!!!

Well, today I did a really stupid thing. The Good Lord musta' been smiling on me and just let me off with a warning--it could have been a whole lot worse.

Was shooting my longbow today--first time since I shot in a tournament Sat. The last thing I did at the tourney was shoot a novelty they call the "Warrior's Challenge"--5 real hard shots from one stake, high score wins. Anyhow........the guy keeping score also pulled my arrows for me (I'm still a gimp). I'd missed a target, but didn't think a thing about it when he handed me my arrows; just stuck them in my quiver and forgot about it. Well, on the first round this evening I noticed something didn't look quite right at full draw but I let go anyway--STUPID, STUPID, STUPID! Evidently the arrow I missed with at the shoot had whacked a tree, limb, the target,.......something. All in one split second I realized: my bow made a weird sound, my arrow flew off (slowly) in an odd direction, my fletching went off in another direction, and my forearm felt like a hornet had just bowed up on it. The arrow had broken right at the base of the fletching, and something left a big welt on my arm. Dang sore, gonna be a nice bruise, but I am very thankful I didn't have to go to the emergency room to get a shaft removed from my forearm--if it had broken near the point instead of the fletching then that would most likely be what would have happened.

It wasn't the arrow's fault, or the bow's, or the guy that pulled the arrows for me at the shoot--it was all mine.

Check Them Arrows!!!!!

Chad
Old 09-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Check Them Arrows!!!!!!

good advice.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:45 PM

It's hard to believe but you are lucky. I'm glad to hear it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Checking arrows and equiptment can't be overstated. It often times seems silly and redudnant but it's worth every second of the time involed to make sure your gear is A1.

Thanks for sharing. It's a great reminder
Old 09-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

I agree Chad, you were lucky dude. A friend of mine shot a fractured wooden shaft thru his hand several years ago. I checked my arrows diligently for a long time after that, but admit I've been a little amiss here lately. Glad it wasn't any worse for you bro. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:49 AM

Having known a guy who had a wood shaft break and go into his forearm, makes me very aware of the "could have" in your incident ,and is what sends chills down my back.

The Saint of Bowhunting was smiling on you!
Old 09-20-2004, 09:06 PM

wow im a clutz so im stixking with aluminium arrows i think, that sounds like it could hurt
Old 09-21-2004, 06:46 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

I hope you immediately proceeded to buy yourself a lottery ticket. You got very lucky, Chad. A gimped-up leg and trying to bust up an arm? what some people won't do to try to get a handicap parking spot!