Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 The youngster - PICS - Update 8/20/08 >

The youngster - PICS - Update 8/20/08

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

The youngster - PICS - Update 8/20/08

Old 07-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The youngster - PICS

Bob, That is awesome! Congrats to you for being a great Dad and getting him started off right. He looks like his form is great and there is no doubt in my mind he could out shoot me.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, just thought I'd keep this going again this year. The below clip was taken of Joshua (my son) at the Hawkeye Bowmen shoot this past weekend, he just turned 13 a few months ago. He is shooting his Bear Hunter which is 45#s at 28".The arrowsare shooting Easton Jazz 1716. This is the same bow that he used during the spring turkey hunt. He still has one more year before he can hunt deer. On the shot, he nailed a Raptor!

Better mention, another one of Chad's strings.

Last edited by BobCo19-65; 08-07-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:48 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Man they grow up fast! My son turned 13 in March--right at 6' tall, 230# or so. He's started shooting his 43@25 flatbow, although he still shoots the 38@28 better (and for longer periods). He's killed a few rabbits with his bow and still loves to bowfish. We're going to FL this weekend (looks like the hurricane missed where we are headed) for a quick trip--stingray and maybe a short hog hunt. Not sure yet if I'll let him use his bow for hogs--shots should be close, but not sure how he'll handle the pressure.

Bob, how has your son handled growth spurts? Cody has had to re-learn a few times now--besides growing, he had glasses, then braces, then got the braces off, then went to contacts......he's still a pretty decent shot, but hasn't gotten back to where he once was. I'm sure part of that has to do with school work and having more interest in girls than in bows....doesn't practice nearly as much as he used to.

Hope to see the two of you in TN next year!

Chad
Old 08-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats sure neat Bob!!! Well done.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Excellent. You have got to be proud. I love seeing pics of our members kids shooting. I know my girls love it, but not quite that good yet.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wish we had more oportunities to bowfish here. The only legal species is carp.

Yea, grouth spurts are tough, but I think you may have a tougher time with it. Most of the time he gets a little uncoordinated and has achs and pains especially in his feet and legs.

Josh seems to keep fairly interested though. He always has a friend that is more then willing to come out with us when we go to the club. I also make sure that every morning before school and work that we spend 20 minutes together. We'll usually shoot bows, play chess, play music, scrabble or something (one thing). By the time I get home from work and he gets done with school, chores etc, time is limited. We may loose a little sleep by getting up so early, but we'll all make it up someday.

I'm going to definetely make an effort to get there next year.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Tox

Boy , that young lad looks just like a miniature Fred Bear, with that head position ,except hes right handed. I like his style. Tox
Old 09-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Tox

Boy , that young lad looks just like a miniature Fred Bear, with that head position ,except hes right handed. I like his style. Tox
Josh is a lefty, he made the switch a few years ago.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 PM

posts like thisare what it's all about. i liked all the replies. i have an 8 year old and would like someadvice on getting him more interested in shooting. anyhelp would be good. train up a child in the way he should go.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have an 8 year old and would like someadvice on getting him more interested in shooting. anyhelp would be good. train up a child in the way he should go.
I really believe that at that age, you have to make archery as fun for them as possibe. You can not be demanding, etc.

My son at that age really took to shooting at balloon, or things that made noise. One thing my son has always loved (even now) was me setting up a dollar bill on the target (this is after shooting for a while). Hit the dollar and he wins it. He also loves competing with me and his friends on the members 3-d course at our club. We set up a diffent scoring structure for him then me though (he gets a handycap). He is at the point now though where he will not shoot from the cub stake and instists on shooting from the regular barebow stakes. He does make his share of misses, but I try to let him do what he wants and never discourage him. Concentrate on the positives.

Quick Reply: The youngster - PICS - Update 8/20/08

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.