Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

long or recurve

Old 07-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default long or recurve

wats better for a begginer at traditional

or better overal
Old 07-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: long or recurve

I got to try a longbow recently ,
I'll stick with my recurve for now !
Old 07-27-2004, 03:08 PM

The big difference used to be in the handle shape, hand shock, and arrow speed. But with modern hybreds, there is really no difference. Long bows now have pistol grips, reflex/deflex limbs, center cut windows and can be made as short as 60 inches. Recurves now have straight grips and narrow limbs. It comes down to which looks the best to you. But, before you purchase, go by a traditional bow shop and shoot several different kinds. Most Bass Proshops have a shooting area also. Usually, large traditional tournaments will have several bow makers showing off their bows and taking orders. They will let you shoot their bows. Or go to a local traditional archery tournament. Most traditional archers will let you shoot there bow for a few shots. See what feels right for you.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:10 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I'm partial to certain styles of longbows, but you can generally get a good recurve cheaper than a good longbow. Price does not always dictate quality--there are lots of good old recurves for sale reasonably cheap.

Chad
Old 07-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

I agree w/LBR. A nice (fairly low draw weight) used recurve might be easiest to start off with. You'll definitely develop your own taste in bows after awhile, but that'll get ya on the right track for (alot sometimes) less investment. After you've develped your shooting a bit you can move up, or stay w/the one. It's a whole bunch of fun & a very rewarding way to hunt. Best luck in your quest & be sure & let us know what ya come up with!.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

If the bug bites you hard, you'll eventually have at least 3-4 of each. Most folks have an easier time with the recurve. Some are simply made for longbow shooting though. So, odds are you'd be better off starting with the recurve. However, if things don't go like you expect, don't give up until you've tried a longbow.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:12 AM

Think that you should shoot both.. For double the fun..
Calabash