Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

long vs. Recurve

Old 09-12-2005, 02:10 PM

Default long vs. Recurve

A little information please. I know a few of you on here are quite knowledgeble about tradional bows. I am looking to purchase a strictly hunting bow very soon. My question is what are the main differnces between the recurve and long bow as far as performance , speed etc...
My compound is set at 65lbs. What draw weight is recommeded to achieve proper penetration ? Also what length should a bow be that is going to be used for hunting. I know this is alot to reply to , but any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks ...
Old 09-12-2005, 02:34 PM

Default RE: long vs. Recurve

I shoot 70lbs on my compound and I have a 62 inch 54lb longbow and a 43lb recurve. I shoot a 28" draw, if you have a longer draw, you may go up to a 66" longbow. In the same poundage, the recurve will get you more speed, but many saylongbows are easier to shoot (i.e., more forgiving). However, I'm a little more consistant with my recurve, and after shooting a compound for many years the recurve feels a little more comfortable to me. But, I've only shot the longbow for a little over a year and I'm getting more comfortable with it.Mylongbow spits arrows out at 181 fps, it's got carbon laminations in the limbs, which helps the speed a little, soI hunt withtheit, but I think the 43lb recurve would kill one just as dead. Generally, trad shooters will use a two blade cut-on-contact broadhead for increased penetration...I shoot Magnus Stingers (with the small bleeder blades). You may post this same question attradgang.com......the site for the hardcore trad. shooters. You'll be happy with either, it just take some adjusting, and I guarantee the first kill will be more sastisfying than a compound! Good luck.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

To be frank, I would suggest you not get hung up on performance and speed. Make your accuracy and stalking ability the focus for performance. Traditionally, recurves seem to be a bit more efficient. Shoot both and go with the one that you like shooting better.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Oh yeah, length. I don't think there is a best or worst. The shorter bows are definately convenient in the thick stuff, the longer bows tend to be a bit more forgiving have will have less pinch.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:38 PM

If it helps my draw length is 29" on my compound. Just want to know the main differences and advantages/disadvantages of both.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:08 PM

Don't think there's a whole lot of pros and cons with either, like wyomingtrapper said, get the one you like best. Shoot em' both, and you'll probably feel more comfortable with one over the other. Pro's for longbow: I would say their quieter.....less string slap on the limbs, but nomuch diff. I think their easier to string...no need for a bow stringer. Cons it's a lot longer, they can be difficult shooting from a tree. Again, I'd say speed is better with the recurve. But, I forgot to mention, my longbow is called a reflex-deflex longbow, when unstrung you can see the extra bend in the limbs (kinda like a longer recurve), it's suppose to be a "higher performance" stick. Sell your compound and get oneof each!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Used to be when there were only straight limbed longbows with straight handles and recurves with pistol grip handles, there was a lot of difference between the two. Now, even though the old straight limb longbow is still with us, we've got reflex/deflex longbows with semi-pistol grip handles, recurves with straight handles, longcurves, rebows, various and sundry hybrids. You can even get a takedown riser with interchangeable longbow and recurve limbs!

The fastest recurve is still a bit faster than the fastest longbow but, overall, there's not much difference in performance. Shooting over the chronograph, my reflex/deflex longbow shoots the same arrow at the exact same speed as my Chek-Mate recurve, and they are very close to equal draw weights.

I like shooting longbows. I really do. However, I shoot recurves quite a bit better than I do longbows. I know other guys who are exactly opposite. They shoot longbows better than they can recurves. It really comes down to what you shoot best.

But I like Basswacker's suggestion to get one of each. No truly civilized man can go thorugh life without having both.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:46 AM

But I like Basswacker's suggestion to get one of each. No truly civilized man can go thorugh life without having both.
I'll just have to do that then. Already have a recurve , so long bow it is. Thanks guys.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:57 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Art pretty well covered it. There's so many variations in design these days that in some cases there's no clear-cut line between longbows and recurves. There's longbows that aren't so forgiving, recurves that are; longbows with recurve grips, recurves with longbow grips; slow, fast, and in-between in both; longbows that shoot and feel like a recurve; take-down bows that will accept longbow or recurve limbs; etc. etc. etc.

One thing I will add is if you plan to shoot in any of the bigger tournaments, check out their regulations--some do put restrictions on longbow design.

Personally, I like longbows, but I am picky. I like a deflex/reflex design, but not radical. I like a grip that fits my hand, but not a high-wrist "pistol" grip. I like a bow that has good speed, but not so much that it sacrifices forgiveness.

It's a very personal thing. A grip that fits me may not be right for you. A bow I consider forgiving may be picky to you. Just shoot all you can and make an informed purchase, then start saving up for the next one (there will be a next one).

Chad
Old 09-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is it fair to say that most long bows have a shorter brace height than most recurves?

Quick Reply: long vs. Recurve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.