Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Chek Mate Kings Pawn Recurve??? >

Chek Mate Kings Pawn Recurve???

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Chek Mate Kings Pawn Recurve???

Old 04-28-2004, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Chek Mate Kings Pawn Recurve???

Does anyone have any experience or knowlege of the Kings Pawn by Chek Mate?

I'd like to find a hunting setup (recurve) thats between 62" and 66" and the Kings Pawn falls right in the middle.
I should also add that the Kings Pawn also falls into my budget. We dont have any shops around to go try out trad bows and I'm terrified of spending $500 - $800 on a Black Widow or other custom bow that I cant shoot before hand.
I also know that I'm lousy with anything under 62"! I have a 30" draw and would like to be around 50lbs at my draw length.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2004, 07:19 AM
Kip
Fork Horn

Default RE: Chek Mate Kings Pawn Recurve???

I dont know anything about the Kings Pawn, but I know someone will chime in here real soon that can tell you all about them. Check www.recurves.com if you havent already, good prices, and options on there.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:27 AM

I'm sure Chad (LBR) will chime in here real soon, he's the owner of the above mentioned recurves.com and from what I gather a pretty good guy.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:04 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

I've never shot the King's Pawn, but I've owned a pair of 62" Hunter II's that are both smooth out to my 32" draw. with that bow, 45# @ 28" should put you right around 50# @ 30".
Old 04-29-2004, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys! I actually discovered them on recurves.com and will be ordering from there!

After browsing through the trad forum I see ArthurP has a kings pawn. I'd really like to hear his opinion of it. I'm also going to need lots of help with choosing woods (whats good , not so good) , finish , etc..

Thanks again!
Old 04-29-2004, 06:06 PM

Chad left Wed for the Twin Oaks shoot, probably won't be posting 'til at least Sun evening. That said, the King's Pawn I believe is pretty much the same as a Falcon, just longer, & the Falcon is about my favorite bow. I have several Chek-Mates, (3 Hunter ll's, 2 Falcon's, & a Hunter), but I really seem to go to the Falcon in a pinch.
As far as woods go, I'm partial to a Bubinga riser & Elm limbs, either plain or fancy. Either way, they're the best buy out there. You can't go wrong with any Chek-Mate you choose IMO.

Darrel
Old 04-30-2004, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I could tell you about the Kings Pawn I shoot, but.... I doubt you'd respect my opinion about the bow any more than you respect my opinion on other things.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could tell you about the Kings Pawn I shoot, but.... I doubt you'd respect my opinion about the bow any more than you respect my opinion on other things.
I'm sorry you feel that way!

You've got mail
Old 05-03-2004, 04:53 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The King's Pawn is a nice bow--not a speed demon but a good shooter. It resembles the Falcon in appearance, but the limb design is a little different--the KP is one of the slower Chek-Mate bows (not a dog, just not as fast as the other recurves). A 60" or 62" Hunter I or Hunter II would handle a 30" draw comfortably and be faster--more manuverable in tight spots also. That being said, I hunt with a 66" Crusader [8D].

Chad