Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Sitka Spruce Arrows vrs POC >

Sitka Spruce Arrows vrs POC

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Sitka Spruce Arrows vrs POC

Old 01-09-2004, 11:04 AM

Default Sitka Spruce Arrows vrs POC

Anyone shooting sitka over cedar - Just wondering what the weight difference is - I really like how my bow shoot POC anything else seems like shooting a log - Any info anyone?
Thanks
Mike
Old 01-09-2004, 11:58 AM

Default RE: Sitka Spruce Arrows vrs POC

My Sitkas are running about 12 gr. per inch. (55-59# spine)
My POC's are running about 13 gr. per inch. (60-64# spine)

Not much difference really. As you can see, my Sitka's are lower spine which explains the lighter weight. I would guess the two are roughly the same as weight comparison goes (generally lightweights in the world of woodies), maybe the Sitka's being just a tad bit lighter. Grain isn't quite as pronounced as the cedars and they sure don't have that wonderful aroma.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm pretty sure I remember an article by Jay Massey extolling the virtues of Sitka Spruce. According to him, they are much tougher arrows than POC. I've never shot them myself, but that is what I have read. Now that I have just gotten another recurve, I may have to get some to try.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:32 PM

funny this thread came up i just bought a dozen from 3 rivers this week
Old 01-11-2004, 12:28 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I've tried them in the past, and they worked fine. In my experience, they weren't any better than cedar ( GOOD cedar), and a little lighter. Since I wasn't looking for a lighter shaft, I went back to cedar. I've also tried pine (chundoo), maple, ash, Douglas fir, carbon, aluminim, and probably a few others, but always go back to cedar. Some were tougher, some heavier/lighter, etc., but none were--to me--as good all-around.

Chad
Old 01-14-2004, 07:07 PM

These are both among the great woods of the world. SS is an amazing wood, it is quite split resistant for a softwood. I'd rate it tougher. What bugs me about it is that the arrow stock I have received has been nothing like the quality of POC. I have soundboard wood for guitars in SS that is fabulous, but the stuff I have received for arrows was OK, but very run out, had obviously been sawn not split, or not sellected well. I didn't get it from 3 Rivers it was some guy in the back pages of TBM, the barreled shafts he sent me were nice, it's just the wood was runout.