Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Gold Tip shafts

Old 12-31-2003, 07:17 PM

Default Gold Tip shafts

I am thinking about getting some Gold Tips for my son to shoot off his 40# Fox High Sierra. Can someone lead me in the right direction for a good source. I am looking for the cheapest price available. Sure seems strange getting carbons, but I am tired of building him woodies. He is really hard of arrows, and I am wanting something that can stand up to a 16 year old. Take care.........Tom
Old 12-31-2003, 07:36 PM

Default RE: Gold Tip shafts

Try this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=3648362034guy.

You can also get the traditional which are heavier,but he bwill be ok with these.The problem you may have is getting em to spine well at 40#.You might have to leave em a little long and go to a heavier point.Especially if his bow is not centershot.

Tom could you email me your epoxy finish info?

thanks,
CB
Old 12-31-2003, 07:41 PM

Tom-

try www. keystonecountrystore.com gold tip hunter 41.95 a dozen

wulff
Old 01-05-2004, 05:31 PM

Can anyone tell me if the XT shafts are worth the extra $20, rather then the Hunters? I heard that the construction and tolerances are better on the XT's. These would be shot of my sons 40# Fox High Sierra. Thanks and take care.............Tom
Old 01-05-2004, 07:23 PM

Hi Tom,
I don't think the XT's are worth it, especially not for a stickbow. Anyway, give Mike a call at www.huntersfriend.com, at (877) 410-7811. Gold-Tip's are not listed on the website, but he sells a ton of 'em (VERY reasonably priced too). Plus, he's a heck of a nice guy. Looking forward to seeing you & the rest of the gang at the Kentuvcky Klassic.

Darrel
Old 01-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

XT's are the exact same arrow as the Hunters, only they are selected to tighter tolerances.

As far as I'm concerned, the standard Hunters are pure junk, but I am pretty picky about what I like and dislike in arrows. If I had no other choice but GoldTip, I'd buck up the extra money for the XT's. The XT's won't make you shoot better, but them doglegged, inconsistent standard Hunters can keep you from shooting up to your potential.

I prefer the Carbon Express Terminator Selects. Carbon/glass composite, plenty of weight without adding weight tubes and junk like that to the shaft, and they are darn good, tough arrows.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have a lot of experience w/carbon arrows, but I've had a doz each of the XT's (.003") & the 'Hunters' (.006"), both in 5575 spine for a couple years now. While I still prefer the warmth & romance of RRA cedars for most of my shooting, I've found both doz of GT's to be fine shooting, tuneable, & very durable arrows. I've killed 2 deer w/one of the .006" shafts & it's ready for action again, & I've had good results bareshafting them out to 40 yds from an O.R. I still have 22 of the 24, (I "Robin Hooded" the other two of the 24, blind hawg syndrome).

IMO either XT or Hunter GT's (in 3555 spine) would make great arrows for Matthews 40# recurve.

Tom, I bought both doz off Ebay for cheap. I just bid real low on several different doz & finally a couple fell thru the cracks. Hope this helps a little, & tell Cheryl & Matthew 'HI' for us!
Old 01-06-2004, 08:40 PM

Hey Vic,

First, Cheryl and Matt say hello.

I had Matt shoot a couple of Mr. Miller's 3555 Hunters the other day. They appeared to shoot really well off the bow. I will be more than happy to make Matt some more woodies when he start shooting on a regular basis again. It kills me everytime he breaks or looses an arrow anymore. Funny how it never bothered me when he was shooting with me every weekend.

I hate him loosing his enthusiasm and miss him shooting with me every weekend. He only seems to shoot when we go somewhere other then the backyard. I am sure he will come around. He use to wait for me in the truck on the weekends when he knew we were going to a shoot. I also notice that he started slowing down after our friend David Turner past away a couple years back. He really looked liked him and enjoyed many days hanging out with him.

Take care........................Tom

PS. I talked with Mark Baggett today. The Twin Oaks Traditional shoot is May 1st and 2nd. I think he also said they are having an open shoot March 27th and 28th.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya better tell that kid to get on the ball if he plans on coming up this coming fall to stalk some caribou! Its either he hunts or he's on packing duty. [X(]

I got those river cane today, thanks. Man they straighten easy when green!!!
Old 01-07-2004, 04:38 AM

Good deal Dan. Hope they work for you. Take care............Tom