Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Gold Tip shafts

Old 10-10-2006, 05:03 PM

Default Gold Tip shafts

Hi,[/align]I am looking to switch from shooting alum arrows to Gold Tips this year.[/align]I want one with as close to a 21/64" dia. as I can get. I HATE small shafts. The Ultra X is like 25/64 dia - TOO fat.[/align][/align]Can anyone recommend one of their models near a 21xx dia?[/align][/align]
Old 10-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gold Tip shafts

Pro 22's. Great weight and straightness tolerances. Their spine is so stiff that I don't think it matters on their spine tolerances but I have found them pretty good as well. I shot my best indoor game with them actually last year and won a lot of 3D as well with that shaft. I also know people that have killed lots of deer with them so they work for hunting too. They are pretty durable for a fatter shaft, and they are amazingly light and still pretty stiff too. I get 311fps out of my Apex 7 shooting them at 355 grains and 70 lbs. The pro 22's are .001 straightness and my last 2 dozen ended up finished on the same grain except for 1 arrow that was 2 grains heavier. They are a 22/64's diameter and also accept 2115 easton super uni bushings and inserts/target points. Even though they are stiff, they shoot well on lower poundage bows as well as higher poundage if you cut them 1/2" in front of the rest.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:25 PM

Rick,
I know Tom and Mary Lemme. I used to live in Schenectady and shot at Guan Ho Ha, etc. 3D shoots.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Scoobiedoo

Rick,
I know Tom and Mary Lemme. I used to live in Schenectady and shot at Guan Ho Ha, etc. 3D shoots.
That is awesome. How long has it been since you were at the shop? Tom is still around and spends time at the shop, but the business has changed ownership in the last year.

Tom is a great guy and has done more for the industry than a lot of people will know. Guan Ho Ha is a great place too, I shot in the NYS ASA state championship there this summer as well as their annual chicken bbq 3D shoot, and their field shoots as well. I will shoot their indoor tournament this year too.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:32 PM

I moved out here in 2001. I'm currently completing my Senior year at St. Elizabeth's College of Nursing in pursuit of my RN, having just completed 3 yrs at Morrisville College as well.

I used to shoot with Floyd from Brown's and know Mary and Tom well. They are both great people and lots of fun! I saw Tom has many of his collector bows on eBay too! he has some beauties! I shot traditional too for awhile, know Armstrong, Cintula, etc.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:37 PM

Who owns the shop now? is Townsend still competing?

I bought a brand new Mirage from them like in 1997. Man that bow was incredible!
Old 10-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, Tom is selling a lot of his personal stuff and actually sold most of it to archeryhistory.com which is owned by Martin as display pieces. It was bought by Mario Pennacchia. The shop was running under Tom's ownership for over 50 years.......somewhat of a legacy and the oldest shop known of in the country. The new owner didn't want to see the name put to rest so he purchased it in February and re opened in April after Tom closed in December.

Townsend still competes and is in tight w/ Hoyt and is still on their national staff. Don Howard (my first coach) and Al Arpin work at the shop with me, you may remember them from Guan Ho Ha. We moved to a better location as well and are now located under B&J Guns, aka American Shooter Supply, aka B&T Guns (they changed ownership too). We are still on central ave, just closer to schenectady west of the northway about 2 miles. If your in the area ever, stop in or PM me and I will give you directions.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:03 PM

Ok, kewl. I know Donnie Howard. Nice guy, and have shot with Townsend. Yeah he was always a Hoyt boy.

I knew Jim at B&T to.

Thanks for the invite - I'll talke ya up on that someday!