Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Its that time folks ... ya'll feeling it too ??? >

Its that time folks ... ya'll feeling it too ???

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Its that time folks ... ya'll feeling it too ???

Old 12-23-2003, 08:05 AM

Default Its that time folks ... ya'll feeling it too ???

That time of year when hunting season is winding down and your thoughts turn to trading bows or buying new ones ? I just sold a bow I had and right back in the market for another. I'm more picky than I use to be, knowing that 3 piece TD longbows are "my thing".

Ya'll getting that itch too ?
Old 12-23-2003, 08:47 AM

Default RE: Its that time folks ... ya'll feeling it too ???

LOL that is a never ending itch for me it seems like[] What are you eyeballin?
Old 12-23-2003, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmm... Seeing how much you love 'em and so desperately want them in bow season, I would've figured you for a new crossbow, Z. [X(]

I've already got a new recurve on order, a Chek-Mate Kings Pawn. Got an elm tree all picked out and waiting for about another month before I cut it down and split it into staves. Should be able to get at least 4 bows out of it, once the wood's cured.

And my New Year's resolution: To get rid of every stinkin' compound in my house.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you mean.I ordered a Blacktail Elite a couple of months ago and wanted to sell a few bows to help offset the cost.I sold a Bighorn recurve a month ago and picked up a Stahl T/D recurve 2 weeks after that.Still trying to decide if I want to sell my Zipper along with a few others.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:09 AM

I'm a 3 piece TD man. I love my Adcock longbow, but really liked Sley and Horne bows too.

If I had my choice of bows ? A new Morrison with ACS limbs, exoitc woods, the pine cones, antler overlays ... the works.

I'd be happy with another old style limb Adcock 3 piece. I'm needing a 57-60 pound bow. I'm also getting a recurve itch ... ( [email protected] )

Old 12-23-2003, 06:19 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Got an 85@30 take-down (2-piece) Crusader on order for myself--yew limbs (of course), and having Marc pick the limb veneer--I just couldn't decide. I think he is going to use either the Jarrah (eucalyptus) or Tamo ash--guess he will have to suprise me. Ordered this bow for a special hunt I plan to do within the next 3-4 years (hopefully less)--Asiatic water buffalo in Australia. I hate the wait, but it will take a little while to save up the coin, plus I have to get used to shooting the poundage again--only a 20 or so pound jump, but it's been a while since I have shot over 80 lbs on a regular basis. Besides, it will give me time to find some arrows that fly true and finish out at 850-1,000 grains, test a few broadheads, etc.

I'm right the opposite with a 3-piece--longbows anyhow (don't shoot recurves enough to have a real preferance). They just don't have the feel of a longbow to me--every one I have shot felt like a recurve, if that makes any sense. I owned one for several years, and it was a great bow--shot some of my higher tournament scores with it--but......... I'd have gone with a 1-piece for my new one, but I need the convenience of a td for plane travel.

Anybody wanna go to Oz and chunk a sharp stick at the largest horned animal on the planet? Would be nice to have someone to talk to on the ride over and/or scrape up the remains if I goof. [X(]

Chad
Old 12-23-2003, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

Dang Chad, that sounds like one hellova adventure you're planning dude! Lemme see...80# stickbow w/1000gr arrows going head to head w/the worlds largest (& maybe meanest?) horned critter. All this from the ground & right smack in the middle of croc & nasty wild boar country? Hmmmm..be sure & leave me all your archery stuff in your will, ok? Hehehehe! >Kidding< dude, I'll bet you have a great hunt & it'll definitely be one to tell about the rest of your days!

Me, I prefer much less dangerous game & am planning a 'bou hunt in '05. I haven't committed to an outfitter yet, but Jack Hume Adventures is looking purty good. Wonder if anyone here has any experience w/em they'd like to share?

As for the new bow bug, I just gotta used Bighorn 'curve (great bow BTW) & still waiting on that set of matching ACS longbows for me 'n Karen...
Old 12-23-2003, 10:12 PM

scratch,scratch.Damn itch won't go away.Think I'm gonna order a mosshorn.Wes sent one to try out.Sweeet shooting little bow.

LBR better not wait too long or you might be in for shoulder surgery first.
Just wear that funky hat and the buff should think twice about stompin on ya.

AP I know how you retirees are,just too much free time making bows and all.I'm shooting bout 47 at 26" if you get my drift

CB
Old 12-23-2003, 11:08 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Aww heck--go with me Vic! Crap, you need to back me up on this one! Can't say that I blame you--pucker factor is most likely going to be off the scale when the moment of truth arrives. []

They aren't the meanest critters on earth--that I know (did you ever meet my ex? ) Guess it depends on who you ask as far as the difficulty goes--talked to a PH in Africa the other day (Kruger) and of course he said the Cape buffalo are meaner/tougher, and I imagine if you asked an Aussie bowhunter he would say the Asiatic. Ric said of the people he has talked to that have hunted both, every one ranked them equal, sooooooo..........

I'd love to go after the 'bou one of these days, as much for the scenery as the animals themselves. If all goes well, going on an elk hunt next fall, then the buff, then I REALLY want to go back to Canada for moose, got to squeeze in a trip to BC to visit with Marc and chase a cougar somewhere in there.......so many critters, so many recipies, so little money!!! Oh well........a Redneck can dream....................................[&o]

CB, I used to shoot 82# on a regular basis--tournaments and all--before I learned better. Shoulder seems to be in good shape, but I backed off to 66# anyway. I plan on working back into the 85#, shooting it exclusively until I go on the hunt, then back to my lightweight--I can't imagine ever needing that kind of poundage ever again. Good Lord willing and everything goes right, I can give the bow a final resting place beneath a big 'ol set of horns.....at least until my son gets ready to take it with him on a hunt.

Man........anticipation is going to kill me before the buff gets a chance to!

Chad
Old 12-24-2003, 07:26 AM

Chad - You're weird though, I mean, look at the hats you wear hunting, and 85# longbows .......... its no surprise that you don't like the smooth, silk draw and release that a 3 piece TD longbow gives

Seriously, are you going to shoot woods at the buffalo ? Ever consider those old Graphlex / glass shafts ? You could put a wood inside those and I bet have NO problems getting to 1000 grains - not to mention how tough they are !

BTW, I found a 3 piece TD Adcock in cocobolo, about 9-10 pounds heavier than the bow I currently have .... a perfect match ! Merry Christmas to ME !

Quick Reply: Its that time folks ... ya'll feeling it too ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.