Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

limb wood

Old 11-17-2003, 05:11 AM

Default limb wood

what would be the best wood for limbs. and why. any opinions?
Old 11-17-2003, 07:15 AM

Default RE: limb wood

I have the following limb woods on my longbows:

Bamboo core/canarywood lams(not veneers) - 2 - 62" Selway Lil Magnum' s
Bamboo core/yew lams(not veneers) - 62" Selway Lil Magnum
Actionwwod core/yew lams(not veneers) - 64" Crusader
Maple core/sassafrass lams(not veneers) - 64" Gharing Chief Cornstalker

My favorites are the bamboo/canarywood and bamboo/yew. These bows seem to draw like melted butter to my 29" drawlength. They shoot sweet and fast. Now alot of that has to do with limb design also. If I had to pick a single wood I' d choose yew or canarywood. In my opinion the differences are subtle and probably more of a personal preference. I found I had to shoot alot of bows to really feel a difference. As an example the actionwood cores are nice but seem to draw ever so slightly stiffer, more like just butter. This is comparing bows at the same poundage. Shoot different ones until you find the combo that feels the best for your shooting style.

I' ve got a Morrison ACS ordered with Actionboo core and double carbon. We' ll see how that shoots.

Old 11-17-2003, 04:37 PM

I' ve shot limbs cored with juniper, elm, black locust, osage, maple, et cetera, and I quite honestly can' t say I detected much difference. I think it' s mostly a matter of limb design and the fiberglass.

Right now I' m shooting a ChekMate Attila with elm limbs and it' s the best bow I' ve ever shot although the differences aren' t that huge. I suspect longer limbs shoot better than shorter ones. The Attila, at 56 inches, is pretty short but the riser is very abbreviated so the limbs are probably longer than the limbs of a lot of the longer bows I' ve shot.

I think questions about limb wood probably apply more to self bows than composites anyway. With a self bow it probably makes a discernable difference but with laminates I' m not so sure it makes any difference at all really.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

I' ve found that I really like yew limbs in my limited experience.

CT, what do you do with all those bows?? I think my wife would have MY head mounted if I ordered that many bows.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:40 AM

dathein,

My wife has thrown her hands up with my bows[] She says she can' t keep track anymore. She recently said she' d shove the next bow up my #$%, but she was just kidding[X(], I hope...LOL. I' ve got one of those new Morrison ACS' s coming any day. She finally agreed bows were better than me taking up golf[]

I have been able to buy/sell/trade at least 15 or so bows over the past year. Found a great bunch of people to trade with. Saves a ton of money. That Chad has also been great to deal with. Got something like 4 bows from him and about a gazillion strings All my bows have Chad strings. Also I' m a volunteer fireman and we get a stipend depending on how many calls we make. Use that money and the wife doesn' t care!!!!!

Oh and another thing, make sure you buy her nice jewlery for her birthday and x-mas and take her on a cruise for vacation. Another great idea is I buy bows for my boys (9 and 10 years old), you know they want bows just like dad[>:]