Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
New here. Need a bit of help on longbow I made. >

New here. Need a bit of help on longbow I made.

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New here. Need a bit of help on longbow I made.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Spike

Question New here. Need a bit of help on longbow I made.

Hey guys,

So I am new to making bows, but not shooting them. My first bow came out horrible, but I just made a new one that is very excellent and strong out of a maple sapling. There is only one problem for me with the bow: I cannot pull it back all the way, because I am not that strong and the draw weight is quite high, just not sure what it is exactly. Bottom line, I need help with the draw weight. What can i do to lessen it on this homemade traditional longbow?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-07-2014, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default draw waight

I never built my own bow, but I think they go back and shave the limbs and the tiller. Don't worry, there will be some forum member that will know for sure. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:43 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It's a matter of removing wood--in the right amounts in the right places. There are several good books and videos on making selfbows. I'm not much help-only made one myself, and that was with a lot of "adult supervision".
Old 07-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Spike

Sorry to this site, Archerdude if you go stickbow.com tradidtional leather wall forum there are a lot guys on there who make there own bows. Or pick up a copy of the bent stick by paul comstock. Good luck, and shoot straight

Last edited by bootleger; 07-09-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm certainly not an expert; but I have made a few bows. If you didn't add any backing to the bow it will loose DW. You might try leaving it strung up for a few days and shooting it without overexerting your self everyday, just to give the bow time to acclimate to the new tension under that wood...and if you had a lot of moisture content in the wood it will lose some of the tension if you leave it strung up a few days.

How much is too much, can you draw it back to enough that you can sight down the arrow? If it's that hard time to get out the draw knife.

It's just my opinion, because the first few bows I made were just about right and before long they lost DW. I soon then started backing them with bamboo or fiberglass.

Last edited by The Rev; 07-23-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

Shaving and tillering limbs will drop weight. Usually shy away from saplings and go for older wood with nice straight grain. Burnie would the guy to talk too.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Centxrecurve
Shaving and tillering limbs will drop weight. Usually shy away from saplings and go for older wood with nice straight grain. Burnie would the guy to talk too.
Your right; If we could ever get Burnie back on this forum again.

He's made a lot of bows. He also can't shoot trad's anymore due to a problem with his hand, and he's real busy now that he was elected mayor in his hometown. I hope that doesn't stop us from hunting together again, he's a good friend of mine.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

Yes I am hoping to finally get a chance to head up there.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Centxrecurve
Yes I am hoping to finally get a chance to head up there.
He's a good guy (he pays me to say that). We've hunted together several times and had a blast. If you ever get a chance to make it you should; great hospitality.