Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Howard Hill Bow Kills

Old 08-28-2014, 03:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Howard Hill Bow Kills

I was amazed not only at the amount of animals he took but the vast species. People rant about Fred Bear's hunting abilities, not to take anything away from Ole Freddie, he was one bad cat too..

http://howardhillarchery.com/the-legends-story.html
Old 08-28-2014, 04:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

One big difference was that many of the kills made by Hill were somewhat questionable. When he shot his elephant, it was done poorly. A PH had shot the elephant it one of the knees on a front leg before Hill sent an arrow into it. The reason was an elephant, due to the weight, can not move if a front leg is broken. So this basically anchored the animal in one place until Hill could dispatch it with an arrow. Hill's lion kills were also questionable since there are rumors that they happened inside fenced areas.

There has never been such an accusation against Fred Bear. Remember, Bear owned an archery company and wanted to prove how effective his bows were and didn't do anything to detract from that. Hill was basically an entertainer and wasn't bound by such guidelines.

However, in my book Arthur Young and Saxton Pope pass both these guys up. They hunted the world and took all kinds of game before either Hill or Bear. That's way the record book for bow kills is named after them.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:24 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Totally different era, and bowhunting was in it's infancy. This was a time when it was questionable as to the efficiency of a bow.

Some of his kills may have been questionable, but the man was an absolutely amazing shot. Likely at least some of the shots were set up so they could be "caught" on film. Ever see the size of movie cameras back then?

Ben Pearson is probably my favorite. An amazing shot, a real inventor/innovator, but never seemed to promote himself but rather the sport.

Bill Negley was another.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

My point wasn't that he was my favorite or the most ethical shot, but Good Grief to kill that many different animals in such a vastness of species. I just can't imagine the time spend hunting, and traveling to those areas. I don't think I have a favorite each of the pioneers of modern day archery was very instrumental in the sport that we all love so much today.

It's hard to post something anymore without getting your head bit off. Flags sorry for ranting about Howard Hill; I'm new in the sport, this is my 51st year of bow hunting and still learning from you Old Timers..
Old 08-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
There has never been such an accusation against Fred Bear. .
Alot of accusations but there's never been documented proof that any of the 3 elephants were shot in the leg, or chained, or whatever. He did kill 3 elephants with a bow and arrow...that's a fact. And most of Africa's hunting areas are fenced in and have been fenced in for decades. When Bear hunted Africa, chances are very high that he was in a fenced in area.

And as far as accusations....Fred did advocate the use of POD's for bowhunting. So yeah, thnigs were alot different back in the day than they are now
Old 08-30-2014, 01:32 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Who cares he did it, someone has to piss a moan about everything.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:23 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Watch the Fred Bear video series while reading "Fred Bear's Field Notes". The book is a lot more honest than the film narrator-lol.

It was a different time with different attitudes, and bowhunting ethics were just being developed.

They did some amazing things with "primitive" equipment.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes they did, Chad...and bowhunting wouldn't be where it is today without Hill, Bear, Pearson(also one of my favorites), St. Charles, and the many othes.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

And bow hunting is still evolving and changing daily. One reason I hung up my wheels; the bows are getting so fast to me there's no challenge anymore. Like using a cross bow and say your bow hunting, not in the same league.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Howard hill was a stud. There is also this guy called Person out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.