Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Early season call

Old 10-01-2003, 07:25 AM

Default Early season call

I need some tips on an early season call. I have the Primo call can, its a doe blet and it says its for early season. Has anyone ever used it or know anything about it?
Old 10-01-2003, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Early season call

The can is supposed to be a doe in estrus bleat if I remember right. It works great right before the rut, shot my first buck with it and he came like he was on a leash. Earlier season I' d give a few grunts, lay off the rattling, maybe a little scraping (never seen anyone do it for whitetials but I am sure it would work) As the rut progresses get a little more aggressive and get " the can" out. Start rattling from time to time very softly until you think the rut is happening. I had more success rattling more like a mock fight then all heck breaking loose. That said I had two different calling sessions where 1 or more bucks came to my rattling when simulating to bucks really going at it. Toss in a bleat or two before the rut kicks off, or do it by itself. Most of calling is doing it and learning how. Its one area where real field experience cant be taught by a book. How, when, and what to say are just a different as the human voice. One deer may react aggressivly where another my scoff and hightail it to russia! Experiment a little, keep your calling suttle and you' ll have better luck. Once you learn when and what to say, you can get more agressive (at the right time of year).