Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
got me a bow! (help needed) >

got me a bow! (help needed)

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

got me a bow! (help needed)

Old 08-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default got me a bow! (help needed)

Well my dads friends who is in his late 80's gave me his Bear Kodiak Hunter. is this a good bow? it says its 45 lb but it doesnt say at what draw length it would be that. my draw length is 29. i know it needs a new string. i checked for cracks and saw none. It is in great condition. i cant wait to start shooting. he gave me 5 wooden arrows with these mad looking broadheads lol. Im not new to bow hunting but im new to traditional bows. im gonna need to practice a TON if i want to even be good enough for the late archery season . any tips for me?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

The Bear Kodiak Hunter is a nice recurve. Since it's a production made bow, it's 45# @ 28" since production made bows all have their poundage given for 28".

For every inch past 28", the bow will add 2#-3# per inch. Since you draw 29", the bow will be around 47#-48" for you.

One caveat. If the bow is marked.........x45, then the bow is 44# @ 28". If it's marked........45x, then the bow is 46# @ 28". The small "x" means you add or subtract 1# of weight depending on whether the "x" is in front or after the poundage number. Keep in mind at 29", you still have to add 2#-3#.

As for a new string for the bow, you didn't state how long the bow is. Normally, for a recurve, if the bow is 60" in length, you get a string 4" shorter. So, 60" bow, 56" string. A 58" bow, 54" string, etc.

Last edited by Night Wing; 08-11-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

thank you! yes my bow is 60" sorry. a lot of my bow shops around here dont carry strings for them but i found one shop this going to make me one monday. If i decide to hunt with this, should i use a modern fixed blade? i have seen a lot of people use 2 blades with a recurve but i am not to sure who would make them. can you suggest some heads that you use for your recurve?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:03 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Magnus,Ace, Zwicky, Ribtek, Steel Force--there's quite a few.

Chad
Old 08-15-2011, 04:15 AM
Fork Horn

Another great broadhead are glue on 11/32" STOS broadheads. A 2 blade broadhead that is easy to sharpen, very strong, the tips don't curl and they fly great in flight. They come in 130, 145 and 160 grain weights.

You would have to glue a 11/32" screw on adapter to them.

I get my 2 blade STOS broadheads from Braveheart Archery.

http://www.braveheartarchery.us/new_page_4.htm

BTW, you don't have to use 2 blade broadheads. You can use 3 and 4 blade broadheads as well. Right now, I'm using a 3 blade broadhead for both of my recurve bows since I've switched arrows this year.

Last edited by Night Wing; 08-15-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

ok thanks a lot!