Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Total Newbie, Too many questions... >

Total Newbie, Too many questions...

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Total Newbie, Too many questions...

Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default Total Newbie, Too many questions...

hey everyone, I'm 31 and have been shooting a compound bow since I was 14 so I have experience with "modern" gear. Well I love a challenge and am lucky enough to have moved to a piece of property where I can shoot a bow everyday in my yard. I want to get started in shooting a recurve mostly for fun and eventually to hunt with every now and then. I don't think I'll be good enough to hunt with a recurve this season, so i'm thinking of getting a basic target bow to learn the mechanics etc and then hopefully upgrade next year to a bow i can hunt with.
I know lots about compounds, and zero about recurves. First questions is, any suggestions on a good starter bow? I saw the PSE Mustang for $210, the Martin Jaguar Take down for $160 and the PSE Kingfisher for $120. I'd like to keep the cost maxed out around $200 since its just going to be to learn with. These all sounded like they have good reviews.
2nd question, poundage suggestions? These seem to go 40, 45, 50, 55. I shoot a 60-65lb compound and am not super strong but in shape. i was thinking to develop good form, going with the 40 or 45. Any suggestions?
3rd and final question for now, arrows? Aluminum, carbon, cedar? Sounded like people like aluminum with their recurves? I have a 29" arrows with my compound.

I have a few more questions but i'll get to them as the thread hopefully develops. I really appreciate any and all comments and thoughts. thanks everyone so much
Old 04-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds all right.

The Martins, PSE's are great beginners. I would start with 45lbs. Aluminums are great for beginning. Get some 1916's or 2016s. Get em 30" to start.

Get some decent books. I have read thru many of them, and would suggest the following. I would stay way from Asbell's methods. Thats me.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guid...3927698&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Become-Arrow-T...3927732&sr=8-1

A good dvd is masters of the barebow vol 3.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:17 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think you should buy/order any recurve until you've demo shot a few. There is no letoff when shooting a recurve. You hold all the poundage and since you're used to shooting a 60#-65# compound with maybe 80% letoff, that means you're only holding a little over 13# at your anchor point. Most newbies think they can easily shoot a 45# bow because they're used to shooting 70# compounds and the vast majority of them get a rude awakening when they draw that 45# recurve to their anchor point for the first time. Most of them "struggle" to get those last 2" to reach their anchor point.

Another point. The production made recurve bows you listed, their poundage is measured at 28". Recurve bows add 2#-3# of weight every inch past 28" so you could be holding 47#-48# if your draw length is 29" and you buy a 45# recurve sight unseen without shooting one first.

The worst thing you could do is buy a 45# recurve without demo shooting one first and then find out you're over bowed weight wise. If you're over bowed, your arrows will be all over the practice target group wise at 20 yards.

I used to shoot compound bows for awhile and all of mine were set at 62#. If you look at my signature, you'll see I own two custom made recurves, 37# and 42# at my 30" draw length. In my opinion, there is a big difference in the "feel" between holding 40# and 45# when shooting any recurve or longbow.

I've been shooting low poundage recurve bows for 47 years. Started bowhunting when I was 14 years old and I'm now 61 years old. The lightest recurve I owned and took a deer with was when I was 16 years old and the bow was 36#. The heaviest recurve I owned and took a deer with was 44#. I've taken many whitetail deer, feral hogs and javelina during the last 47 years. Don't under estimate what a 40# bow can do if you can do your part and make a broadside lung shot at 20 yards and under with a very sharp 2 blade broadhead. If you can do these things, you'll find a 40# recurve can kill a deer as easily as any 45#, 50#, 55#, 60# and up recurve.

BTW, the last 5 deer I've taken with my recurves, the distance has been between 12-17 yards. They were all recovered within 40- 60 yards because no animal goes very far without lungs.

In my book when shooting recurves or longbows, accuracy trumps poundage.

Last edited by Night Wing; 04-28-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Spike

start around 30#, stay 58" or longer,get properly matched arrows(this is the big one. come here for advice on spine-not the charts or proshops suggestions,unless its a trad shop)

ebay is full of great vintage bows for 50-100 dollars

arrow material is personnal preference. I shoot all three, mostly carbons now days though

Last edited by the_trapperDave; 04-29-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by the_trapperDave
start around 30#, stay 58" or longer,get properly matched arrows(this is the big one. come here for advice on spine-not the charts or proshops suggestions,unless its a trad shop)

ebay is full of great vintage bows for 50-100 dollars

arrow material is personnal preference. I shoot all three, mostly carbons now days though
I think I shot a 30lb longbow when I was 8.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Spike

and?

youre quite the snarky one...on the net.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:09 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Good instruction goes a long way. If you can find a coach or mentor that knows their stuff, that would be the best bet. We can offer advice and opinions, but obviously they will vary.

A great video is "Masters of the Barebow" Volume III. There are lots of books and videos on the market, and most contain at least some good information, but many also have opinions presented as fact. The trick is knowing how to separate the two.

Try different things to see what works best for you. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Take opinions for what they are worth, and do your homework. For instance, if someone is telling you what to do with a hunting set-up, find out if they are actually a hunter or not. You'd be surprised at the nerve of some people, trying to pass themselves off as an expert on something they have done very little if any time doing.

I'd probably go with the Samick Sage for a starter bow. Draw weight will depend on you, but I do think if you can get a good release with a light draw weight that is a plus. You wan't a bow you can comfortably control, not one you are struggling with. A bow you can shoot more than a dozen arrow through before you get tired and your fingers get sore.

Good luck!

Chad
Old 05-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks to everyone for the help so far! I was all set to purchase but then following Trapper_daves advice, i looked on ebay at all the options. I never heard of the brand Samick before but saw numerous ones on ebay so I googled the name and they seem to get great reviews. Now LBR mentioed Samick again so I think I am going to go with one of them. My dad used to shoot recurve but that was 20 years ago, he's been a decent help but he's not sure how much technology has changed since then so he's a little hesitant giving advice over the phone. He'll be in state in late May and i hope to have my bow by then and I'll be able to have him give me pointers on form etc. I decided to go with the Samick Sage, LBR your recommendation led me to research it further and it sounds like exactly what Im looking for. Still debating if i should go with 40# or 45? I was leaning towards 40 but now i think i may want 45, not sure. I have a 29" draw so Im thinking a 40# would really shoot around 43#. I guess my holdup is I really have dreams of hunting with it this fall even though I don't think I'll be good enough.
I'm reading up about setup now, I have a few questions but I'll wait until I buy and decide on a weight. Thanks for the help so far everyone, I'll be placing an order tomorrow!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by the_trapperDave
and?

youre quite the snarky one...on the net.
And, most people try to give advise based at what they can do. In other words, everyone's different. Just because its allyou can handle, doesn't mean its all anyone else can. Its really that simple.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks again guys, after all the advice here, I decided to go with a 40# Samick Sage. The Sage was suggested here and after research, really liked what I read. I went with the 40# because my #1 goal was fun target shooting, hunting was secondary and I was originally going to stick with the compound bow season. Night Wing was the first to say low poundage was ok and after some research, it sounds like a 40# bow with sharp 2 blade heads put in the right spot is very efficiant. I also have a 29" draw so I should be pulling 43# if I do in fact decide to hunt with it.

Now, I'm used to an arrow rest with the compound. Any opinions in shooting off the window to using a plunger rest? I read arrows should be about an 1" longer than draw, so 30" for me is what I was looking at but what spine/weight etc? Same with field tips, 85gr since the poundage is low? Still doing a lot of research but any info helps! Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.