Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

small game heads

Old 07-29-2003, 04:19 AM

Default small game heads

Are blunts or judo points the better choice for hunting small game with cedar arrows? Is flu-flu fletching primarily for wing shooting?
Old 07-29-2003, 07:28 AM

Default RE: small game heads

I use Judo points, they put the thump on and stop in the grass without tunneling in.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:17 AM
COB

I just started useing Ace blunts. They come in all different sizes, glue on, and screw in. Work well. Just another option.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Magnus small game heads-work real good.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:05 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I' ve used several types--from homemade ones (.38 casings with finishing nails running crossways through them) to judos to rubber blunts. My favorite so far is the Ace Hex Head--the only thing I have shot with them so far is grouse, but they did a WHOLE lot better than judos or rubber blunts. I plan on trying them out on rabbits later on--I will not use any other blunt or a judo on rabbits--they just don' t do the trick on them here if you have a less than perfect shot.

Flu-flu' s are good for areial shots--birds and squirrels--but I don' t reccomend them for rabbits. Have had rabbits duck the arrow and once or twice the rabbit was long gone before the arrow got to it! Don' t know if it would be the same with a squirrel--have only tired it once--but at least you would be less apt to loose your arrow.

Chad
Old 07-29-2003, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

for grouse I have shot regular field points and the game nabber points with great success. Blunts and judos as in Chads experience is nothing but baaaaad!

That said however, its hard to be a HTM rubber blunt on the snowshoe hares. They really thump them good! I prefer the bigger blunts coming out of my 60 and up bows....I think I would tell someone to go with the smaller blunts with a lighter bow.

I have yet to try the hex heads and dont recommend the snaros.

The flu flus are great for aerials and tree shots however I find myself using regular fletched arrows for 90% of my bird shooting. I have only managed to kill one bird on the wing in 7 yrs of trying and it was a fluke at that. More of a reaction then going out with the intention of doing it. The grouse here are more apt to sit or run then fly. To include the ruffies. I also am hunting in areas where its an endless supply of woods with no roads or houses anywhere in my line of fire. When hunting in an area with an even remote possibility of hitting something when shooting grouse out of trees I prefer the flu flus.

When the birds really start coming back (they have been on the upswing of their cycle for 3 yrs now), I' ll pick up some hex heads and really give them a go for a fall and post how they do. If they work anything like Chad was saying I am sure they' ll be my new grouse head. I do however have a hard time not shooting a bird and trying to keep the arrow in them as with the game nabber or regular field point, to keep them from flying. The heads that bounce off have been a nightmare even for the compounders I have taken out. Minus head shots of course!

I should add, for tree rats I wouldnt use judo' s or rubber blunts. I cant comment on the hex for them, I would shoot either some bodkins or some of the magnus blunts WITH the blade. That or make up some trade points specifically for the rats.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

For real small game, like squirrels and such, I' d just use a field point. As they get bigger, like woodchucks and the bigger rabbits, I think I' d want a broadhead. Squirrels are real quick, so I wouldn' t want to use flu-flu on them. I like shootin them on the ground though.

Brandan
Old 07-30-2003, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Snaros are great on small birds, like dove and quail. I' ve taken many with ' em.

Judos are good for rabbits and squirrels, but you do have to have a hard shooting bow to use them effectively. Gametracker used to make a Judo knockoff that had a much bigger head (called it a Shocker or some such??), and I actually liked them better than Judo points.

I haven' t used the other small game heads. I' ve taken old, worn out broadheads and ground 1/4-1/2" off the point, making them a square point, and they' ve worked nicely on rabbits. For anything larger than rabbits, I use nothing but broadheads. Hard to beat a Bear Razorhead on a racoon or coyote.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

I use the Ace blunts, Magnus small game heads and broadheads for small game. It just depends on what' s gonna be the target. I use judo' s for roving only.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:29 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Arthur, I' ve heard of other folks that had good luck on rabbits with judos--maybe the ones we have around here are just tougher? I' ve shot them with bows up to 80#, and they still ran off if the shot was less than perfect--just not a big enough wound (rubber blunts too). The shots that did take them out were good enough that any point would have worked. ' Course I have seen a few run off that were shot with a broadhead--not many, but a few. I guess the only way to know is to try them on the game in your area. I won' t use anything less than a broadhead on rabbits around here (Ace Hex Head pending..........).

Chad

Quick Reply: small game heads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.