Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
pse recurve... looking for a good recurve >

pse recurve... looking for a good recurve

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

pse recurve... looking for a good recurve

Old 02-03-2011, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default pse recurve... looking for a good recurve

Are pse's recurve bows any good? I'd like to get a recurve for hunting next season I have always used a compound bow but I want to try something more challenging. I just am looking for a good hunting bow that wont leave me broke.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Look at 3 Rivers Archery's line of recurves. They stock production made bows from Ragim, Samick and Greatree that won't break the bank for a beginner.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Bows+R...55_p0_cat.html
Old 02-03-2011, 03:53 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Lancaster also offers several good shooters at a reasonable price. The Samick Sage is a good bow to get started with.

I haven't shot any of the PSE trad bows in a long time, so maybe things have changed. Based on the last ones I shot, I'd have to advise staying away from them.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

For a factory bow look at Martin and Hoyt.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Farmland, Ind, arent you close to Cloverdale? I think the weekend before Fathers Day, they have a huge traditional gathering there with more bows to shoot than your fingers can stand. Everything from old used, new used, and new of all kinds. Great place to try out bows. How one feels to you is very important. First look at and consider buying something between 40 and 45 pounds. You want to be able to smoothly control your draw and release. Too much poundage, and not only will you wear out your shoulder prematurely, you will struggle with the shot and have difficulty mastering any sort of good form.

No comment on pse. Havent shot them in a while. They never used to be what I would recommend. Also, most (some? hard to lump all) archery shops are almost totally compound oriented and may not give you sound advice with your recurve needs. So, before you buy, make some friends shooting trad only. All that means is they have either always shot it or tried it and put in enough time to be confident enough with their bows that they dont need or want to fall back on compounds. Again, all doesnt mean there arent very noligable people shooting both. It's just that like with guns, everyone thinks they are an expert and full of advice so look for the mature shooters who have been at it quite awhile. Also at 3d shoots most trad shooters will gladly let you try their equipment. Dont be afraid to talk with them.

If you draw 27" now, you may only draw 25 to 26 with a recurve. That is a short draw. Alot of bows may not be using all of the limb at that draw length. The only bows I know of that are specifically suited to that draw lenth are the alum risers using ilf, slide in limbs. Look for a used Three Rivers Dalla, try trad talk , and an old proline riser that has had the limb pockets modified for these limbs, comonly referred to as a "Warf" (the guys dogs name that came up with the modification). I would think that some bows that shooters complain that they stack, night also work real well. Stacking just means that the bow suddenly gets harder to pull at a certain draw. Say it was pulling about 2 to 3 pounds for every inch you pulled it as you approached your draw length of 28" (a very common draw length) and at 28" it suddenly takes 4 pounds to gain that last inch. That is stacking. That means the bow is peaking at a shorter draw length that would be advantagous to you. But good luck finding these bows. Do alot of searches on stacking, and maybe you will find some common bows mentioned.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

Not everyone loses draw length when switching from shooting compound bows to trad bows. My two compound bows have 30" draws and my both of my Blacktails are 30" draws also. The reason they are both the same is because using a Scott release with my compound bows, I anchored in the corner of my mouth and with both of my recurves, I still anchor in the corner of my mouth with my middle finger.

Last edited by Night Wing; 02-19-2011 at 04:52 AM.