Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Dtt ii?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:40 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Dtt ii?

It's not set in stone, but barring no disasters I have a "go" for "Doin' the Twist II". That probably won't be the name of it, but I don't know what we'll call it yet.

We've got lots of ideas, but always looking for more. DTT has been out for...6 years, I think, and amazed us because it did so well, but we know we can do better.

Anyone have any suggestions they would like to share?

Chad
Old 11-18-2010, 06:42 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The title should have read "DTT II". Not sure what happened there.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:06 AM
bigcountry

Wished I could help Chad. I always planned but never got to look at DTT I.

The most confusing thing to me, is doing the bottom loop correctly with out it looking like 2-3 separate bundles but looking like a cohesive group. and all the while keeping all strands same exact length, so the finished product doensn't have strands that are obviously off.

I have tried counting the twists on the top, and pre twisting the bottom bundles. I have tried over pretwisting. More I screw with it the more uneven the strands.

I don't think I am the only one struggling making quality. So that is the area I suggest stressing.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:54 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

We covered that in the first one, but if there's something we aren't touching on we'll try again.

The biggest problem I've seen in when people over-complicate it. It's really simple--like most everything else in this sport, consistency is the key.

Proper back-twist will make your string round and smooth rather than looking like two vines twisted up. When you finish the second loop, you should have little to no twist left in the bundles before you put the final twist in the body of the string. If you do, look at how much you have and which direction it's going (did you back-twist too much or not enough?) and adjust from there.

Uneven bundle tension can happen no matter how good you are. The reason being is the string material can be inconsistent, especially when mixing colors. Some colors absorb dye better and they will be a tiny bit thicker, and white doesn't have any dye.

The fix is easy. You just have to check your bundle tension early and often--once you get the second loop started, check to be sure the tension is even. If not, put a little tighter twist in the loose bundle until you get the extra cheated into the string. That's the main reason I prefer a 2-bundle over a 3--3 is more work (done properly), and no benefit.

Chad
Old 11-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

One suggestion: when you show a technique really slow it down for the demo. In DTT 1 your explanations were really good but because you guys are so adept at making strings the visual component was a bit fast.

RC