Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

wife's now an addict

Old 11-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default wife's now an addict

... a new whitetail addict any way.

So the Mrs. and I spent a week hunting whitetails in south central BC, got back Tuesday night. We saw 8 different bucks in 5 days, some so high up the mountain that we were almost in the sub-alpine. Some close calls but we never connected on one.

On our last afternoon we were driving back to the cabin after a morning up high in the snow. A CRANKER of a buck runs across the road in front of us. He's the size of a big mule deer and sporting a 5X5 rack that I'm sure will go 160 or better. Down the road we go, hook off onto a smaller track then grabbed our gear and headed about 400 yards into the bush. We headed for an old logging site that we had been in earlier in the week. It had been winter logged so there were a few 7-8 foot tall stumps on the edge of a small marsh. The wife skinnied up a stump that had a cedar growing beside it for cover and I settled in to rattle not far away.

After about half an hour I hear soft foot steps so I grunted. The deepest grunt I have ever heard came right back. We played that game for about 10 minutes but he never would break cover. It was starting to get dark and the wind was swirling so I'm not sure if he lost interest or winded us. Never heard him leave.

When we got back to the truck my wife says "That was amazing! I'm hooked, when are we coming back to get him? I want him!" We were a 350 mile drive and an hour and a half ferry ride from home... we're going back next weekend.

The bucks were starting to roam around but the does still weren't having anything to do with them.

Any strategies/tips? It's been quite a few years since I've seriously hunted whitetails and the hard leassons learned from then are slowly coming back!

RC

Last edited by Tuffcity; 11-19-2010 at 08:31 PM.