Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Any suggestions for my first traditional bow? >

Any suggestions for my first traditional bow?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Any suggestions for my first traditional bow?

Old 07-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Any suggestions for my first traditional bow?

Been an avid hunter all my life. Avid bow hunter for the past three years. I got hooked on this show called "The Best and Worste of Tred Barta" last year. Either have to spend two hundred dollars repairing my compound or put that money and a little more for a recurve or long bow. Really thinkin for goin for a recurve. I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. I hunt mainly whitetails and small game. I was thinkin a 45# or 50# draw. Any suggestions are welcome. Also any tips are welcome. I looked at the martin jaguar and pse coyote. Didn't know if anyone had any other suggestions. Also any tips on whether to go with a long bow or recurve would be great too.
Thanks
Indy
Old 07-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

I had the same dilema a few years ago. I had shot recurves off and on for several years, and finally decided to try a longbow. I purchased a Bear Montana for starters,,,and couldn't be happier with a production bow.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:06 AM
bigcountry

Bear montana, martin savannah, martin stick, checkmate crusader all can be had for under 300 used and great bows to learn on. Longbows are more forgiving. Not all, but some recurves can be tougher to master and tune. Don't ever buy one new starting out until you know what you want. You lost 40% right off the bat. My first one was a martin savannah, and I have been thru a dozen or so since then and still have the martin.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

Thats a good thought to buy used. As far as draw weight goes. I've been told 45# is enough for deer and small game. A 50# is also good. I'm thinking a recurve but I have a few buddies who are diehard long bow fans. I'm gonna go shooting with them next week. Let me know what yall would suggest poundage wise.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry guys but one more question... I've been looking at PSE, Martin, and a few other bigger companies.. I saw one person on here recommend Sammick. Any companies to look at. Ball park I'm thinking a good starter for between $150-200+plus cost of arrows and accessories.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

If you like a recurve bow and if you can find one, look at the Martin X-200 in a 45# weight. I think Martin has discontinued this model and replaced it with the X-150.

http://www.martinarchery.com/2010web/x150.php
Old 07-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Spike

Tim Duvall at Dry Ridge Archery makes a beautiful bow (longbow or recurve) at awesome prices whether or not you choose a one-piece or takedown. He's a SUPER guy to deal with too. You won't regret at least calling him and "picking his brain" on what might work for you. Check him and his bows out at:

http://www.dryridgearchery.com/index.php
Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

I'm very interested in this as well. My bro n law (underdawg on here) has gotten me interest in the subject matter. Makin me want to trade in the wheel bow.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:41 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I brought home 3 recurves from the IBO Trad Worlds from Lancaster Archery. They are all ILF rigs geared towards hunting. I shot one of them a lot, and was simply amazed. Pretty much all the old rumors I'd heard about ILF bows were proven false. You can go shorter, they can be VERY quiet, they are very smooth...great shooters and at a great price. Rob at Lancaster was eager and willing to spend gobs of time with folks and set them up. My shop will now be carrying these bows.

Chad
Old 07-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is a good topic and I am liking the way the Dry Ridge Archery bows are looking at their prices. I too am looking to get into traditional archery and putting up the training wheels.