Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Death of the crusader

Old 06-25-2003, 04:59 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Death of the crusader

Sorry to hear it Dan--man, I wish that bow could talk! Was Marc ever able to figure out how old it is? You' ve pretty much put it through the wringer by yourself!

Glad things are working out for you up there--sounds like you are living a dream. I gotta' figure out how to get up there and do some hunting--problem is, I will want to stay a month at least--maybe I' ll strike gold or something......

Chad
Old 06-25-2003, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

put it through the wringer? explain.

if I dont hear from ya, I' ll call ya in the next couple days!
Old 06-26-2003, 12:18 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Hunting in extreme conditions! I wish my Crusader had seen half the action and countryside yours has....

Chad
Old 06-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Extreme, no doubt. But for any bow on the market to go bad in 3 years (considering its prior service to its old master of arms to be nothing more then 3d shoots and ole whitie' s)....at the cost they are going for now I' d save my money and hunt with the rifle! [] who knows I just might have to if I am going to hunt at all...........
Old 06-26-2003, 09:43 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Most likely just a flawed piece of wood--that stuff happens--but I figure Marc will make it right if he can. No idea if the original owner took proper care of it either (I know of some serious 3-D shooters that like to shoot broomstraws). No problems with mine with several years of use and abuse (no ice though--generally the only ice we see in MS comes from the freezer-lol). The got to be doing something right--can' t stay in bussiness 30+ years if you aren' t. Anyhow, give me a holler when you get a chance, and I' ll see what I can do--we' ll make you happy one way or the other![&:]

Chad
Old 07-01-2003, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

we' ll see what happens. As it stands the sentman is about ready to hit the trash pile. I think I could throw my arrows more pleasently then it shoots them.

I am about ready to back out on this sheep hunt for obvious reason' s. No bow. Dang did I say that, I own 11 of them LOL! But go figure no other bow to shoot even remotely close to the old crusader and no materials at hand to try to get one up and running.

I might be off tomorrow. That said I have an offer to deckhand on someone else' s boat with the cruise ship folks....so maybe not. If so I' ll call around noon my time, if not, I' ll email as you obviously didnt get the last one. We do save them in a folder at the house so I can email it to you when I return sometime this fall. Gotta go, dinners on the table, salmon and noodles, yummm!!!!
Old 07-02-2003, 02:46 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Dan, I never did get an e-mail from you. Try both of [email protected] and [email protected]. Did you get mine?

Chad
Old 07-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

" Extreme, no doubt. But for any bow on the market to go bad in 3 years (considering its prior service to its old master of arms to be nothing more then 3d shoots and ole whitie' s)....at the cost they are going for now I' d save my money and hunt with the rifle!"

I don' t get it. Dan, you bought the bow second hand? It served you well for, what, 3 years hard hunting in Alaska? Sounds like a heck of a bow to me.
I' ve seen some of the rifles that have been in service in AK and a year up there is like a dog year.
You said you knew it had a crack. Wasn' t that the time to get it fixed?
Not low-rating you, but I think I' d retire that one with honors.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dan,

Your bow has been exposed to three years of slop and glop, cold weather, snow, heat, and tons of hunting ventures. Does it have a cocobolo riser? Cocobolo has a tendency to split under the best of conditions. Under the conditions to which it would be exposed of three years of near year round hunting in Alaska, it wouod be even more prone to do so.

Retire it to an appropriate place on the mantle and work up your other Crusader, as I recall you have two, and take it out for some punishment and hunting. Enjoy young fella!!

Bill