Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Longbow or Recurve?

Old 03-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Spike

Default Longbow or Recurve?

I'm a curious kind of fella I geuss....I like to hear what folks prefer longbow or recurve.
I started out on a recurve in 1974, shot recurves until about 1989.
I started the bow-hoping thing from then on ---longbow and recurves.
I have a Quinn Stallion recurve...probably the best recurve I've shot [overall]. But, for some reason when it comes to walking out and hitting what I'm looking at ....I tend to do better with a longbow. All of this is subjective to the individual....folks are different and different things work better than others. Something about the grip on a longbow works better for me. I believe any of them will work but just curious what do you prefer?
Thanks.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:12 PM
bigcountry

Longbow, much more easier to make quiet. Much more stable. By the time you add all the dampeners and all to a recurve to make them as quiet, you are at longbow speed.

But I do have zipper recurves, and a colt recurve. And do hunt with em. Good news about them, is they can be shorter and have good string angle.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:54 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I prefer longbows by a big margin, but not just any longbows. I'm not a fan of "Hill" style longbows--not straight or slightly deflexed limbs, and I really dislike a straight, narrow grip. I also don't care for 3-piece longbows with super heavy risers and recurve grips.

I like a mild to moderate deflex/reflex design with a small riser and a grip that's dished to fit my hand. I want to pick it up and shoot it, not worry about getting my hand in the right spot and holding it just so, etc.

I can shoot a recurve well enough--some days more accurately than my longbow--but I much more prefer shooting my longbow, or one of my selfbows.

Chad
Old 03-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Spike

Longbow. I wanted to step out of the compound into trad. So I went all the way to longbow. Guess I've been stuck that way ever since. Sure I own and shoot a few recurves. My hunting bow is recurve. But I always keep coming back to longbows.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Spike

I'm with LBR.....I like a mild r/d longbow, they seem to be the most pleasant to shoot [for me].
The strange thing is ....I can shoot a lot of different arrows out of a mild r/d longbow, than any other bow.
It may be the opposite for others but that's what I have encountered.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The longbow just feels so right to me.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Once I get past 20 yards, I shoot both my recurves slightly better than my hybrid longbow. I mainly bowhunt keeping my shots to 20 yards or less.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Long Bows for me too for the reasons mentioned above.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've only ever shot 1 cheap recurve and own 2 beautifully made custom longbows .... So its longbow for me .

Last edited by Bailsuk; 04-05-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:40 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Looks to me like something was missed allright. Maha, do you even shoot a bow? I saw your post about pigs--straight from a book or websight, not from experience--am I correct?

On the x-bow, there's a forum for that--this ain't it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.