Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

hey gang, update

Old 05-29-2003, 01:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default hey gang, update

Sorry I aint been posting much, spring is finally here.

Been rainbow fishing pretty hard over the weekend. We figured between the 2 of us we nabbed over 50 bows apiece in 2 days. What a riot, espically for interior Ak where their is no wild bows. For stockies these were nice (23-25" ers, lots of 18+)

I' ve also been videoing a arra making friend of mine on his black bear bait. He missed a hoss 3 nites ago. Figures it was the nite I was out fartin around fishing. Went out the past 2 nites. The first nite (monday nite) 2 bears came in. No shot was presented. I am thinking it was a sow with last years cub and he wasnt going to shoot anyways. Its wild though how the bigger bear looked much more like a boar then a sow, very blockey head, ears to the side. Neither where real shooters anyways and we had a blast watching them. The little guy (looks like last' s years cub and a definate sow at that) was real skittish. Even the squirells would send her on the run. The bigger of the two would eat from behind the barrel. Lesson learned for my pard. I was their to tape and try and estimate their sizes and sex' s before he thought of shooting. The bigger bear humored us with many attempts to come in. For whatever reason she liked running around the bait from one side to the other a good 20-25 yards out much past our visibility as its one thick snotty place he has his bait in. She' d sneak in, and run out the other side. I was thinking their was another bear around, who knows it never showed itself.

Last but not least, I am leaving tomorrow to go guiding black bears. Will be back on the 7th. I' ll check back in with hopefully some pics and for sure some kind of story LOL.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:46 PM

Default RE: hey gang, update

Mr. Williams,
Hey, bring back a picture of a bear that you downed with your Crusader. That way I can add it to the Recurves.com Trophy Room. It would be a nice addition to all the other pictures of yours. Have fun.
Thanks,
Traditionalist
Old 05-31-2003, 11:55 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Dan, sounds like you are living the life...not that I am jealous or anything! [X(]

Keep it up, before long you will have a whole page on the site--many thanks for the pics btw (everyone knows that is was the bow and string--otherwise you wouldn' t have seen any game at all )

Chad
Old 06-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

well so much for the 7th, just returned home last nite at 2am, go figure the sun was barely below the horizon lol.

Terry,
I wasnt hunting, although I would have liked to! I had as many as 6 bears near the bait at one time the nite I watched without a client.

Chad,
Man ya need to take this hot weather back. They are talking 80' s today, YUUUCK! Np on the pics but I dont think I' ll be putting anything up like that old webpage. It was fun but after doing it and now not being able to do anything with it, na. to much time wasted.

Gearing up to leave again on the eve of the 14th. Wont be back till just before the sheep hunt in august, then its off to guide in moose camp in sept. So much for summer......
Old 06-10-2003, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan,

Puuuuuhhhhhhlllleeeeaasssseeeee!!!! You' re just having too much fun!!

I know, I' m just jealous! I guess I' m in the same boat with Chad. I hope it' s a big boat to hold the two of us!!

Bill
Old 06-11-2003, 08:12 PM

Hey Lil sounds like yer havin way to much fun bud. Gettin hot here to, bout ta get everthang back in place after the tornader. Send sum pics of yer hunts. Good Luck an be careful. TrapperJohn
Old 06-14-2003, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well about ready to hit the road for summer. I should be able to check in from time to time. Not really sure of the schedule and also if he even has a computer. I am hoping to hook up with Doug Borland (Jay Massey' s partner on the famous Moose John). This will be my 8th trip to sitka and I have no clue why I have yet to shake hands with the man but I havent. This time I will and hopefully will be able to learn more about Doug and Jays adventures.

I should return the first or second of august for a few days then its off again and kind of in and out till the end of october as I was asked to guide for brown bears and caribou with a 2nd outfit in october after the sept moose season. We' ll see how that pans out as this outfit has me wondering if I should or not.

In the mean time have a great summer and hopefully a blast this fall if I dont a chance to stop in. Hopefully this place will pick up some, atleast more so then it has been since the new site has come around. That and the summer 3d shoots I am sure has everyone busy.

TJ,

I have a week at the end of august we might be heading up for caribou. I am not sure how things are going to lie till the end of june I reckon as the dates I' ll be leaving for moose camp are in the air yet. I am hoping to go early so as to help set up and get a bit familiar with the area and how they are running that camp before the clients arrive. If things work out we might be going up the haul road around the 24th. I' ll try and give you better dates as the sheep hunt draws nearer. I will be taking the wife as she wants to get out of town on some kind of trip this year. Guess she' s feeling it to with me being gone most of summer and all but a few weeks of fall and early winter. I am not sure ifn we' ll do the fly out float but that is a possibility. That or I know of some " fun" water we can run and hopefully not loose to much equipment in the process to get to some good caribou hunting areas away from the slobs of the haul road! Not to mention some good fishing can be had for arctic char which in itself can be worth it. Be forewarned its all a timing game, fish runs and caribou migrations are feast or famine like I was saying before and with limited time and funds flying other then a quick drop is out. The fly out float is a pretty fun one and an easy float. The fishing is super for char and grayling as long as water conditions dont go bad as they have 2 yrs in a row now. Its still feast or famine on the bou but fun no matter how ya look at it. I' ll try and keep in touch with ya as august approaches and maybe we can work it out this year. Just DON' T let me talk you into a october hunt up their. Your chances of shooting a rank bull is high and its colder then snot! Its fun when the bou are around or down right miserable when they aint! Keep in touch and get that MSN Messanger figured out so we can chat the few days I' ll be here!!!