Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New Mexico Elk!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:07 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default New Mexico Elk!

I never would have guessed--barring no disasters, I'll be leaving in just over 3 weeks, driving over 1,200 miles to meet a fellow so we can drive about 5 more hours (it's going to take me approx. 19 hours of driving before this) to about 1 square mile of private land where I get to chase a New Mexico elk--whoo-hoo!

Everything just fell into place. It's not a done deal, but it's going to take a disaster to keep me from going. Last week I would have bet lots of money there was no chance of me hunting elk anywhere this year, especially not in NM.

Yeah, I'm pumped............
Old 08-10-2009, 07:45 PM
bigcountry

Congrads Chad. You deserve a good trip. You seem to have had the last few disrupted. Hope your in shape and get ya fine elk.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chad.

Congrats and hope ya bag a big one.

Why drive? a plane will get you there faster and fresh
Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats, best of luck.

Seems time is fast approaching for me...and dare I say I'm not ready, but a good month to kick it in gear, I need to. What do you say we both shoot some big elk and we'll compare at the end of Sept?

Btw, 1 square mile? 640 acres....out west depending on the terrain can be covered quite easily. You may want to check out a blm map and locate some public ground as a backup. Not that this will be antelope country, but I hunted some checkerboard in WY each square was 1 sq mile and you could see the entire block and then some....

Hunted NM couple years back for elk, took 2 days getting out there, drove home straight through though, 24hrs non-stop, Gila to Chicago! Be safe while driving!

Last edited by salukipv1; 08-10-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats awesome Chad! Looking forward to some great pics upon your return!! Good luck brother!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

How cool is that!!!???

Congrats! And Good Luck!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck and be safe
Old 08-13-2009, 05:24 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Thanks!

I thought about flying, but there's a couple of hitches. One, if I tag out early I need to get back home. If I don't tag out early, I may have to stay a few extra days. Driving gives me a lot more flexibility. Also, bringing a cooler full of elk meat home on a plane is expensive, my longbow isn't a take-down, etc. If I had more time to plan, I probably would fly, but I'll just drive this time.

The fellow I'm going with doesn't think we'll have any problem getting into elk. This spot hasn't been hunted in 4-5 years, and they really aren't too spooky. He had a cow graze to within 15 yds. He's tried counting, but they move around too much. He's got to 60-something before loosing count, but estimates the herd to have 90-100+ in it. I'm not sure, but I think the tag I'm getting will only be good for this particular spot of private land, since it's a landowner issued tag.

The cost of the tag is just plain stupid ($778--that's what the state is charging me--the landowner isn't charging a thing), but the good part is pretty much any elk is a legal elk.

Since I've never killed one, only hunted them once before, and the closest I've been to one in the wild (that I could see anyway) was about 300 yds, I don't think I'm going to be too picky on this trip.

My best friend and hunting buddy has a saying: "Don't pass up a shot on the first day that you would take on the last day". I think I'll stick to that philosophy. If a big cow strolls by at 15 yds the first morning of the hunt, this 'ol boy is going to be eating cow elk!

I'm not sure about the rut yet, but the fellow I'm going with said the herd bull is already keeping the competition at a distance. It's looking really good! The herd bull isn't a monster (4x4), but I'm not going to worry about that. I don't have room in my shop for a big set of antlers anyhow! lol

Chad
Old 08-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

good luck chado!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like a great trip, best luck on the elk Chad!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.