Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New Mexico Elk!

Old 08-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Sweet! Best of luck.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:48 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Hey Dan--how the heck are ya? Good to see you haven't wound up in an iceberg somewhere!

Man, it just keeps getting better. I've learned from a fellow that's hunted the area that the "big ones" are still hiding, and don't usually start coming out of the woodwork until the 5th or so.........we plan to start our hunt on the 5th or 6th. Whoo-hoo! He estimated that with the size of this herd, we can expect 15-20 decent bulls, and if we hit it right the sattelite bulls should be VERY responsive to cow calls. The guy that told me all this is Paul Brunner--I think he might know a thing or two about killing elk! lol

I am so pumped!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 05:50 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Hey Vic--great to see you are still around! How's the family?

I'm gonna' have to get something to make me sleep. If I don't shut up about this hunt, I think my wife will suggest a large frying pan, or a ball-pein hammer.........
Old 08-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh I'm surviving....Cant say much else.

Tore my rotator cuff this summer mt biking, just hoping to hunt this fall. Happened the first day I got back into riding haha! go figure..I'm hell on 2 wheels

Actually was goign to climb into the sheep mountains...well drag my phat a$$ in the sheep mts might be a better analogy and yup carry a bow.

I can shoot a couple arrows but thats it.

I live in north pole now..single dunno if you heard, I divorced Dawn last spring.

Got most of my toys but found out thursday nite my climbing boots are gone..blashphemy! And living on one paycheck is tight ugg! Oh well life goes on.

how are you and Betsy? Have a great hunt, I expect pictures..lots of them!!!

Last edited by Lilhunter; 08-16-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:50 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I heard about you and Dawn--wouldn't wish that on anyone. At least you didn't have kids to drag through that mess.

Bummer on the rotator, but it will get better. Tore mine several years ago, now I can't tell it ever happened. Might get me when I get old, if I last that long, but for now it's good.

Betsy is great--we celebrated 3 (I think?) years married last month. We also got custody of Cody after we got married. He's 14 now, wears a size 14 EEEE shoe (same as me), over 6' tall (almost caught me), weighs around 275 (nowhere close to me, thank goodness--he's got a pudge, but not bad at all)--dang good looking kid. So far he's being bashful with the girls, but they pester the snot out of him.

Life is good. Wound up in the same back-woods community I grew up in, maybe 1/4 mile down the road. Got dogs and cats, a horse (Betsy's) and a mule (mine). Ankle is still ruined (doc says no chance of it getting better--it will just get worse), but I still manage to shoot a few tournaments and hunt. Not like I was ever built for speed to begin with. My buddies always tell me if they get to to bear hunting they will bring me along--they know I'll be the one the bear catches and eats while they make a run for it! lol With friends like that.......

Chad
Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck - you're living my dream!
Old 08-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

We're all doin good here Chad, thanks. Tell Betsy we say HI! Bummer on the ankle buddy, sounds like that'd make chasing elk sorta tuff to do. Have you considered stand hunting over a good wallow maybe? From what I understand that can be deadly. Anyhoo, hope ya get a monster!

Vic
Old 08-23-2009, 01:45 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Not sure if there are any wallows on the place, but it's relatively flat (no mountains) with two big alfalfa fields. I'm taking a tree stand and plan to set up on a trail to or from the fields. There's also a water tank I can hunt close to. Everything so far look great!

Chad
Old 08-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

The guy that told me all this is Paul Brunner--I think he might know a thing or two about killing elk! lol
You dang right he knows his stuff!! Your going hunting with him? My dad knows the guy a little. They've BSed allot at P&Y conventions and talked about doing an Alaska hunt one time but dad ended up backing out thinking he weas spending too much. Paul Is a good man and a very knowledgeable bow hunter.

Good luck on your trip, I'm hoping to get out to Colorado possibly next year to chase some elk. Been a few years since I last elk hunted.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:33 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I won't be hunting with Paul, just asked him for some advice on the area. I've only hunted elk once before, and that was in CO, so I need all the help I can get.

Chad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.