Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Metal/Heavy Risers?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:38 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Man, I'm spoiled! I'm sure it will see some time in the woods--the two places I hunt the most are short walks, and I'd love to get some blood on it.

We'll have to talk about #1 sometime....privately. I hope I get a chance to shoot a tournament with it this summer--that's my plan at least. I was hoping to travel a bit more, but I got an anniversary present this past weekend that's going to eat up my playing money for the year.

Chad
Old 07-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Spike

I never thought that I would like a metal riser, but after shooting them I have changed my opinion somewhat. They have a place, and they do shoot very well. When the temp drops below freezing they are cold and get replaced by wood risers.
The added mass weight they offer does seem to help with acuracy, however on long hunting hikes that weight can be a chore to tote.A 12 to 19 ounce wood bow is just so much nicer to cary all day.

The ILF models have some very nice advantages,in that we can shoot Olympic quality limbs from hunting bows, or shoot El cheapo's , all on any ILF riser.Limb prices range from a hundred bucks up to over $600.They are more easily tuned, and when you tire of the riser you can still use the ILF limbs on any ILF riser.Some of the ILF limbs available are a bargain, some are very expensive. One set of limbs will fit anything from a WARF to a Morrison,and assembly is a snap, so to speak.I don't think the ILF is a fad,or gimic and I believe it is here to stay. It offers to many options ,and the widest choice of limbs that was ever available to us in quality, and price.

Pete