Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Ben Pearson Bow

Old 04-19-2009, 04:02 PM

Default Ben Pearson Bow

Afriend of mines father passed away recently and the family gave me an old Ben Pearson Recurve he had.

I don't know much about traditional bows, I want to string this thing up and shoot it but I don't know if this is a "shooter/hunting" bow or an antique that needs to stay on the display shelf.

Its a Ben Pearson, Silver Sovereign Highlander 1008, 66in.

Any of you traditional guys have some info on this bow?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Banned

Default RE: Ben Pearson Bow

can you get us some pictures of it ?

from Tradgang post I made .....

[hr] I'v heard of it...can't shed any light on it. To me it is just another Sovereign bow along with the Golden Scott, Golden Knight, Baron, and many others.

As you know, Sovereig was one of Pearsons lines of bows along with Locksly and Ben Pearson. The Sovereigns were generally the higher end of the Pearson family.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:28 AM

Here you go......thanks for the feedback.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned

I've seen Palomino bows like that wood - I can tell you that the Lord Mercury bows, upper line Sovereign bows etc all had incredible woods in the risers. That bow you have is ultra cool IMO because its old, and clean -but its likely not a highly collectible bow. I actually had a demo model Mercury that I EBAY'd back in the day ...... one of a kind proto-type. Cool bows.

String it and shoot it - as LBR about string choices, he'll get you set up right.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a great looking bow! Make sure you use a stringer when you do put a string on it. Not sure that you know that being new to Trad Bows. Good Luck with it !!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 04-23-2009, 02:08 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I love the old Pearsons--for some reason they just don't get the respect they deserve, and very few of them have much of a collector's value. I couldn't say much about that one, other than what's already been said, except it's obviously designed for target shooting and don't put anything other than a dacron string on it--probably around 62-63" long. Endless or flemish will work just fine.

As far as shooting, that depends on the condition of that particular bow. If the limbs are straight and there are no cracks or delaminations, I'd shoot it--there's lots of old Pearson bows still going strong. If there's any question, get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it, and if there's any doubt I'd just hang it on the wall rather than risk loosing it alltogether.

Chad
Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very nice! I'd bet it'll still shoot. Like other have mentioned, use a stringer, and get a dacron string. Also don't store it the way it is leaning against the wall.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 AM

Hi,
Well I am at a stand still on trying to find out the year on this one. It is one of the first take down bows the I believe it is early to mid 50's but the site I am doing some investigating on is missing the books for the years 1945, 1950, 1951, and 1954 if you look at 1957 it is similar but still not it. http://www.archeryarchives.com/pearson1.html
This one did not have a cream colored wood in the handle this is metal. I am sure it is one of the years with of the missing books. So I can't pin point it but close. I don't know anything about bows except what I learning now. maybe someone out there could help me. This is the link to where I am selling it. I have a high reserve on it cause I myself believes it has collectors value. Please email me at [email protected] if you have any clue to the exact year.
Thanks,
Lisa
Old 05-19-2009, 11:42 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280346196277

I forgot to give you the link
Old 05-19-2009, 03:32 PM

OOPS I AM SO SORRY I DIDN'T MEAN TO GET IN SOMEONE ELSES CONVERSATION I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE SITE NOW.
LISA