Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Be patient with the ignorant one. >

Be patient with the ignorant one.

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Be patient with the ignorant one.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:17 PM

Default Be patient with the ignorant one.

Ok well I have more questions.

I went to a shop this evening that had some new strings and arrows I could use. I shot the Grizzly and the Kodiak magnum. Now tell me if I am just imagining this but I honestly liked the way the Kodiak shot better than the grizzly. The grizzly does have 3 lb. more draw weight but the shock seemed to be more than the Kodiak. I wont come on here and try to tell you guys I was splitting arrows but I did "group" better w/ the kodiak.

Here are the specs one more time

Kodiak Magnum: 52" 42#
Grizzly: 62" 45#

Now from what I understand I should like the longer bow better, tell me if I need to keep shooting them for a little longer before I pick one.

Thanks a ton.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:09 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Be patient with the ignorant one.

Longer bow will have more handshock. But for a bow like that, it would have been none. Sounds like you are gripping the handle.

You know thats all part of it, finding one that shoots well for you. I know people that cannot shoot straight gripped longbows, but I perfer them over high grip recurves.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

You will also have to do a little brace height adjusting to find the sweet spot. Some bows are real sensitive to it. You may want to do a little searching to see what range would be and try different lenghts. I usuallystart from the lowerend andincrease brace height by 1/8 inch at a time. A lot of times though you will find that the bow will shoot best toward the upper limit.I don't know thebrace height rangeoffhand for your bows. I'm sure Art P would know or know where to find it (PM him, he is not always in our area, but is usually somewhere here).

Also if you are shooting real light arrows (under 10-12 grains per pound, I'd say 500 grain arrow would be about right) you may be getting a false reading.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great advice! Are these the newer bows or the older Grayling, Mi bows?? My son has both bows, they are the older Grayling bows. I enjoy shooting his bows as w ell and think that the Grizzly is the better shooter of the two, personal preference. Were there any string silencers on the bows?? This made a HUGE difference for both bows!
Old 03-05-2009, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Zach, did you notice any finger pinch or stacking with the kodiak? If not, and you liked the way it shot, fit your hand, pointed, etc, don't worry about it, go with your gut.

The fellas do bring up excellent points. Brace will impact shock, shootability, etc. If possible, keep shooting both until you have to sell one and go with the one you like best.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:12 AM

Thanks for all of the help guys, There were no string silencers for either bow but I bought some while I was at the shop and will put them on this evening. I do think I am going to get to keep them both long enough to pick which one I want to keep and sell with no deadline though so I may have enough time to really pinpoint the one I like best.

BHF yes they are both grayling, bows.

Oh yea and to increase BH all I do is put more twist in the string right??.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ZachCL
Oh yea and to increase BH all I do is put more twist in the string right??.
Right

Also, like Bob mentioned, try to find the recommended BH range for each bow and stay within it.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:36 PM

Default RE: Be patient with the ignorant one. (choice has been made)

First off I would like to say that I sure do appreciate all of you guys help on here.

The grizzly is my choice. (just like you guys told me)

I went to the shop and got some 2016 shafts and some feathers, brought em home and fletched em up. I also got some beaver balls and put them in the string of the grizzly. After work I took both bows out back and shot for a while. After about 20 shots from each it was an easy call for the grizzly. The beaver balls made a huge difference in the shock, I started to be able to feel the stacking and finger pinching that Rangeball was talking about. After getting a pretty good feel from both bows I am 100% sure that the grizzly is the right choice. I am having a blast with this whole recurve thing and am really looking forward to using it out in the field one day. Thanks again guys for all of your help and believe me I will have questions for you in the future.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Hi Zach just checked out your pic on the show us your bows thread.
I don't know if this has been covered but it "looks" like you have your nock set so that your arrow is level with the shelf.

Most of my recurves have shot better with the nock set 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch higher than the rest/shelf. Just something else to play around with while dialling in your bow.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:54 PM

Thanks I sure appreciate it.I will definately play around with it.

Quick Reply: Be patient with the ignorant one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.