Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 single bevel - do you believe ? are you buying ? >

single bevel - do you believe ? are you buying ?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

single bevel - do you believe ? are you buying ?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: single bevel - do you believe ? are you buying ?

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I think people really need to use what works for them and what they are confident in. I was using stinger for a while and was having some penetration problems. Yes, dead is dead, but I still prefer passthroughs. Also had some problems with blood trails with two blade double bevels. Again, dead is dead, but...
Grizzly's seem to have the best of both worlds for me. Yes, shot placement is always key. But I still like pass throughs and blood on the ground.
I couldn't of said It better myself! Good post Bob.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

Schultzy and Chris W. ya'll aint never had a hit go bad ? never did you wish you had anothe extra 25% energy/momentum behind your broadheads or maybe another 12" penetration?

ever ?

wouldn't it be cool if NAP Thunderheads came out with a 150 grain, 2 blade, replaceable that was single bevel and had live .050 blades?
Only one in several years of hunting with a bow and arrow. It was too far back and into the gut, so it wouldn't have had any impact. Rather than worrying about if my broadhead will bust bone or not, I spend my time working on my shooting so I can put the arrow where it needs to go. Besides, I don't believe switching to a single bevel broadhead is going to give me another 12" of penetration.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Banned

It hurts my shoulder to type 73# !!

Have ya'll read the Ashby reports? Its pretty certain and sure that single bevel's out penetrate, and heavily weights FOC shafts are a huge difference too.

We're talking anywhere from 20% to 150% additional penetrations = that's huge.

I mean people will buy a certain bow, like an ACS, that will get tham an additional 8% increase in speed/power, but they won't go to a single bevel broadhead that could give them double that?

Now, since my KS hunt, I've become an absolute believer in heavy FOC arrows - from my 53# Zipper recurve I'm shooting a 680 gr total weight arrow/head. My arrow was laying on the ground after I shot my buck - and I've never had that happen from a low 50's pound bow. I was using 3 blade thunderheads, and I made a very good shot but what if I'd hit the backbone? Would I have broken it? What diference would it have made if I'd been shooting a 2 blade Ashby head vs my 3 blade Thunderheads?

I've lost several deer and most to penetration issues. I think I fixed a large part of my problem by going heavy shafts and front loaded arrows. I can do better by going to single bevel heads too though and am leaning towards the Steel Force. They are vented but $15 a head instead of $25 a head. I want screw in, I cannot stand the adapters.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

If this Is what's working for ya run with It!! Nothing wrong with that!!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Banned

Schultzy do you watch hunting videos ? Real Tree, Primos etc ?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, broadhead testing was part of Ashby's testing, and he did find the single bevels are penetrating better then other types. But there were other factors that he found to come into play even before the broadhead type (I believe he called the broadhead testingmechanical advantage). These factors I believe included complete arrow integrity and arrow flight.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Russ gave me two Aussie single bevel broadheads. I have not had a chance to use them, but will see how they work ASAP and let you know.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

Schultzy do you watch hunting videos ? Real Tree, Primos etc ?
Not to many I watch. I use to watch the Wensel brothers allot when they were making video's, they were great! Why you ask?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

Have ya'll read the Ashby reports? Its pretty certain and sure that single bevel's out penetrate, and heavily weights FOC shafts are a huge difference too.

We're talking anywhere from 20% to 150% additional penetrations = that's huge.

I mean people will buy a certain bow, like an ACS, that will get tham an additional 8% increase in speed/power, but they won't go to a single bevel broadhead that could give them double that?

Now, since my KS hunt, I've become an absolute believer in heavy FOC arrows - from my 53# Zipper recurve I'm shooting a 680 gr total weight arrow/head. My arrow was laying on the ground after I shot my buck - and I've never had that happen from a low 50's pound bow. I was using 3 blade thunderheads, and I made a very good shot but what if I'd hit the backbone? Would I have broken it? What diference would it have made if I'd been shooting a 2 blade Ashby head vs my 3 blade Thunderheads?

I've lost several deer and most to penetration issues. I think I fixed a large part of my problem by going heavy shafts and front loaded arrows. I can do better by going to single bevel heads too though and am leaning towards the Steel Force. They are vented but $15 a head instead of $25 a head. I want screw in, I cannot stand the adapters.
Yep I've read the Ashby reports. Interesting read, but I'm not hunting cape buffalo. If it works for you, use it. For me, I just don't see the need to change my setup anytime soon. The last 4 deer I've shot have been complete pass thrus with my arrow laying on the ground on the other side. That'swith abowpulling in the47# range and arrow weight running around 440 gr., give or take a bit, usingMagnus two blade heads. Will my setup punch through a heavy shoulder bone? Probably not, but I'm not going to worry about the what if's. You'll drive yourself crazy that way. If you bow hunt long enough, a bad shot is eventually going to happen and regardless of what you're shooting, the outcome is never gauranteed at that point. Shucks, it's never gauranteed when things appear to go right.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:12 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

My grandfather used to routinely shoot through midwestern whitetails with a recurve pulling 42# at his 26" draw pushing swagged 2016's and 3-blade glue-on heads. In one side, out the other, in the dirt. Nothing to it, yet some people think you need two or three times that to kill a deer? I don't get it.

Two years ago I shot smack through a bull moose with less Ke, momentum, whatever, than some people can't put through a whitetail -- 499-grain arrowwith a 20-grain insert and a 125-grain regular old 2-blade head. The arrow barely slowed down, even when it split the offside rib vertically. My elk, a 200# wild boar and the three dozen or so whitetails I've shot with that arrow setup (figuring in 2-, 3-, and 4-blade heads) haven't posed any penetration issues either.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with shooting heavy, EFOC arrows with single-bevel heads. If it gives a hunter confidence, then that's great. But if someone needsthem in orderto shoot through a whitetail deer, then there's something else seriously wrong that should probably be resolved first.

Quick Reply: single bevel - do you believe ? are you buying ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.