HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - single bevel - do you believe ? are you buying ?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:12 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: single bevel - do you believe ? are you buying ?

My grandfather used to routinely shoot through midwestern whitetails with a recurve pulling 42# at his 26" draw pushing swagged 2016's and 3-blade glue-on heads. In one side, out the other, in the dirt. Nothing to it, yet some people think you need two or three times that to kill a deer? I don't get it.

Two years ago I shot smack through a bull moose with less Ke, momentum, whatever, than some people can't put through a whitetail -- 499-grain arrowwith a 20-grain insert and a 125-grain regular old 2-blade head. The arrow barely slowed down, even when it split the offside rib vertically. My elk, a 200# wild boar and the three dozen or so whitetails I've shot with that arrow setup (figuring in 2-, 3-, and 4-blade heads) haven't posed any penetration issues either.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with shooting heavy, EFOC arrows with single-bevel heads. If it gives a hunter confidence, then that's great. But if someone needsthem in orderto shoot through a whitetail deer, then there's something else seriously wrong that should probably be resolved first.