Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 MY new SElf Bow I just finished >

MY new SElf Bow I just finished

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

MY new SElf Bow I just finished

Old 04-02-2003, 07:45 PM

Default MY new SElf Bow I just finished

I call it the Holy Python cause I have it backed with Python skin and it has an Osage needle hole on the upper limb.
it is 66" long 50# @ 28" and is hard hitting I have already shot a dozen arrows off of it. here is photos.
Bow on tiller board

Old 04-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MY new SElf Bow I just finished

wow man, very nice! One of these next few days I' ll get me one....still working on a trade for a bbo and cant wait!!!

Great joB!
Old 04-02-2003, 09:17 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Beautiful! Excellent job! I envy those of you that have the time/talent/patience to make a selfbow, especially one that looks good and is a shooter to boot. Maybe one of these days...........

Chad
Old 04-03-2003, 12:16 AM

[] Awesome bow TB! Man, you have talent indeed!
Old 04-03-2003, 01:21 AM
Kip
Fork Horn

Very nice TB, a job well done. When do you start your instructional classes for us " less talented" people?
Old 04-03-2003, 05:52 AM

Looks good. I shoot my selfbows at least 100 times before I finish them. The tiller will often change as the bow is shot in. Also it might just be the angle of the picture but the top limb looks like it has a flat spot about midlimb before you get to the knot? I agree with leaving it stiff around the knot, but it isn' t necessary to leave it stiff leading up to it. How many bows have you made? Regardless congrats on a great looking bow. Where did ya get Python skins?

Here are a few pictures of the first BBO I made.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~mas/bbo.html
Old 04-03-2003, 10:05 AM

Nice looking BBO Bow Coop. You are right it is the angle of the photo that make the limb look flat at that one spot but assure it is not. I think I recall from reading the Bowyers Bible it states not to draw the bow or over flex limbs till you skin backing on. This is the way I have been doing it now for three years and it has never given me any problems with it. yet I may be wrong but It works for me.
I got the the python skin in New Mexico when I Moved My daughter there to her duty station for the Air Force.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:36 AM

Don' t get me wrong, I didn' t mean to sound critical. I love taking to and sharing info with others who make selfbows. Sometimes I' ll stare at one of my own so much during construction that I overlook things. That’s the only reason I mentioned it, but figured it was the camera playing tricks with my eyes. That’s definitely a sweet bow.

I missed that part in those books. I put a rattlesnake skin backing on an Osage bow and waited until I had it totally shot it. Know anywhere I can get some Copperheads skins? I want to make another BBO and snake skin back this one.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:37 AM

you might want to to try Moscow Hide and Fur at http://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/Misc.html see what they have. as far as copperhead. I could check with some of my other sources but most of them are ratlers.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:56 PM

Really niceeeeeee! Wish I could make a bow. Don' t have the talent or patience..lol.
I' m going to have to shoot one of these bows sometime. They look so nice. If they shoot half as good I' ll have to buy one!