Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

gun finished...

Old 03-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default gun finished...

as many of you know i been working on my gun since the day the season closed....ill tell it from the begining...let me know if you think i can tune something else up that i missed or make it look better somehow...i started out with a 50cal thompson center flintlock hawken....beatiful gun...but i thought i can make it look better....i wanted to redo the wood but i didnt think dad would let me in fewar of ruining it being it was my first stock job...but during the season it got nicks and dings and the clear coat they had on it turned white everywhere it was bumped....looked like heck.....so i removed the old finish and put on a hand rubbed truoil finish on it.......i figured why stop? i can make it ignite better with a tune up..i had an old screwdriver slot touchhole bushing so i bought the new ones with a good cone and a allen key hole....and i hated the black metal sites....so i bought tc click adjustable fiberoptics.....i can see them things great and hold it 100 times steadier.....then this week i blackend all the brass....it has a cold steel look....not blued....kinda grayish black....and tomarow im going to buy a lyman frizzen for it.......so now i have a customized tc hawken....only thing i didnt change was the barrel and the metal of the lock and the barrel.....anything else i should do while im at it?? im new to flintlocks and muzzleloaders....but did waht i can think of so far.....cant wait to get to the range....ill let you guys know how she shoots.......shes perdy.....and shoot shoot better for me...any other suggestions?? thanx alot....ill take pics sometime soon and scan them....ill let you guys know what i get them on here.....not for a month or so...ill finish the film when i get out trout fishing with dad......maybe next week ill see what i can do......anything else??? thanx for all the help too guys....you guys been great.....getting me into muzzleloading and helping me with the gun....thanx alot.....
Old 03-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gun finished...

Sounds like you have a rifle to be proud of.

Where did you find the new touchhole liners? I don't like the flat screwdriver one on my Lyman.

The tru-oil makes a really nice finish- I used it on my Lyman. But now I'm reconsidering... Its a bit too shiny for my tastes and I might strip it off to put on a Boiled linseed oil/ tung oil finish.[&:]
Old 03-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

i got the touchhole liners at dicks sporting goods.....seen them at walmart also.....2 for like 4 bucks or something like that.....i dont know that they will fit a lyman......i dont know if all holes are created equal or what.....im new to muzzleloading.......but they were made by TC...a side by side comparison is crazy.....the old touch hole is basically a cut off screwhead to fit the hole....the new one has some technology and has a cone and will throw a better spark i bet.....the old hole kinda constricted it....the on has an outward cone and gets bigger as it goes in.....i cant wait to shoot it......i like the truoil finish but im considering redoing it....it has some spots if you get it in the right light it has a white look......not sure what its from....its only at certain angles in certain spots.....youd have to look at it for a while like i do to notice them........if i take it down any mroe ill be doing all the inleted brass spots as well....i dont really want to go that far...so im leaving it for a while......maybe ill buy a fancy stock next time.......something that takes my brass i have now.......well.....blackend brass actually lol......
Old 03-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see you are from Penn. That would probably explain why you can find Flinter accessories at Dick's or Walmart near you. In my area, flintlocks are rare, and sidelocks in general aren't seen too often- I've seen only one other guy shooting a flintlock in my area, and he is pretty new to the sport like me.

With your tru-oil finish, if there are areas that don't look right, just rub the stock down with 0000 steel wool to dull it a bit and rub another coat on- its a pretty easy finish to maintain.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

never thought of the rerubbing some on......i guess theres really no reason i cant keep adding to it......i think i might have to do it.....i know it wasnt like that before that last coat.....and i think it can use one more coat.....think ill try that...... heres a good site with alot of muzzleloading gear.....and alot of flinting gear being its a pa shop....i order all my gear from them when i started and its all great....havent had a problem yet....even with the tools ect that their company they all work great.....heres the site.... www.rmcsports.com im pretty sure they have the touchole liners....they have dang near anything you can think of.....i guess walmart in other states that werent big on flinters wouldnt have the gear....guess im lucky and i didnt realize it.....man.....hunting with a flinter by choice.....thats a man there.....according to most people....they hear you hunt with a flintlock and they say what!? you can get it to go off?? them things never go off! i thought the same till i talked to these guys....now if its fair weather and the shots are close in rifle season im taking the flinter to show it off if nothing else.....i mean....i love the mauser....and its a beaut.....but everyone in the woods seen that...time to show off my own work.....i know bext year im going to have people asking if i can do theirs like mine.....i hunt with a group of 6-8 guys plus tagged out drivers.....us 6-8 shooters had the same TC hawkens...one renegade and one was a 54cal....i hated having the same gun.....now mines diffrent...when we lay them in the bed of the truck for lunch or drive decisions or whatever we wont get them mixed up.....oh ya....i also put a sling on my rifle.....drilled the stock for the bottom stud and bought a thimble that takes a stud for the top stud.....doesnt look so traditional....but im not after traditional looks so much.....im after a gun that will work and do what i need.....kinda hard to drag that 50pt buck out of the 8 miles i tracked him down with a rifle in one hand.......lol...