Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Chad - Miminum Stranded Strings >

Chad - Miminum Stranded Strings

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Chad - Miminum Stranded Strings

Old 11-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Chad - Miminum Stranded Strings

i read the link that got deleted from this thread...and in it someone raised the question of durability...now id be scared of a 2 or 4 strand string.

but 6 id only be a little leary and 8 i dont think id worry about...

the problem the guy raised was about a 4 strander and i believe it was something along the lines of getting abrasion from brush or catching it on a thorn while hunting...

i know for a fact that d-97 is some pretty tough stuff.....it doesnt cut very easy. you need a real good pair of sissors or a new razorblade to cut the stuff....and if the string has heavy wax on it its even tougher.

i wouldnt mind trying a 6 strander with loops padded to 12 strands...
another thing that was mentioned was instead of double serving..., layingextra strands over the string where the serving goes, serve over it,and get the extra thickness that way.

but why not lay the strands extra strandsin with the bundles in that area and use wax and the twist to hold it in place. Stretch the string tight and serve over it.(i havent tried it but i think it might work instead of double serving.???)

Old 11-28-2008, 11:41 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Had to remove that link--it's against HNI rules to link to a competing site--sorry.

Durability is one of my big concerns. With 12 strands, you could cut/break a few and still be fine. With 4-6, you have a lot less lee-way. Dynaflight is very tough, but it's no match for a very sharp broadhead, or even unnoticed wear.

Laying in strands under the serving is a royal pain, and it's next to impossible to get it smooth and neat. It's much easier, and looks much better, to double-serve. You can put a short serving underneath at the nock point, or double-serve the whole thing, or just use dental floss to build up the nocking point with a single serving.

Chad
Old 11-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

my concern with the skinny string is how comfortable is it to draw to anchor? so i think id want the serving to be as close to a 'normal' thickness....otherwise yea a lil dental floss to buld up where the arrow nocks is fine.