Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Bowfishing Rigs

Old 03-26-2003, 08:54 PM

Default Bowfishing Rigs

So I got the new/ used curve and absolutely love it! I want to set it up for Bowfishing in the next week or so, but I' m too cheap to buy pre-fab deal and would rather make one myself. Anyone fashion their own? Tell me how and how you like it, post a pic if you can.

I' m trying an old 2.5" tin can for the spool...just can' t figure out haow to fasten it " attractively" and without screws.
Thanks!
Old 03-27-2003, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bowfishing Rigs

Wow. Sounds like a challenge ... nothing store bought, hmm?

First off, I think I would use a larger can, like a 2lb coffee can. Cut it down to about 2 or 3" . The string should wind off it better.
I think you could attach it to the riser below your hand with a leather strap or two.

Bowfishing is a lot of fun. That' s what sold me on tradbows. So much more fun to shoot than compounds.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:10 PM

Default RE: Bowfishing Rigs

Homemade and attractive are two words that probably don' t belong in the same sentence when talking about bowfishing.

If you just want something to hold the line for a shot, you can use a 2 liter jug to wrap the line around. The end of the line is attached to the jug and can be used as a float (I use this for follow up shots on BIG gar). Attach the bottle to the side of the bow with a piece of velcro... piece on the jug, and a piece on your riser.

Otherwise, I' d spend the $20 bucks or so for a reel and strap on ' gadget adapter' like in the 3Rivers catalog.

First class would be the retriever reel... but you are looking at $60 or so.

Enjoy!!!