Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

How many Flechings

Old 03-20-2003, 03:17 PM

Default How many Flechings

Ok, I' m starting to do my own Arrows and wanted to know what everyone thinks? 3 or 4 Fleching. right now I use 3, But want to know if others like using 4 Fleching better.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:10 PM

Default RE: How many Flechings

i use 3- 5" parabolic feathers, fletched right helical but was going to try 4-4" to see how they would fly. i let you know how i make out
Old 03-20-2003, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve always used 3 - 5" vanes, helical, with no problem. I wouldn' t go to 4 fletch unless my arrows wouldn' t fly straight. 4 fletches will slow your arrows down.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:58 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

You probably won' t be satisfied until you try it yourself--I wasn' t. I went from 3-5" to 4-4" for a little while. The only difference I could see was it took me longer to make arrows.

Chad
Old 03-21-2003, 08:40 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

I' ve been using 4 4" helical feathers for years now, and I routinely practice out to 90 meters. If it slows arrows down over 3 5" feathers, I sure can' t tell.

JRW
Old 03-21-2003, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

It is an old myth that 4 fletch slows the arrow down faster so it is only good for close range. What really slows the arrow down faster is the amount of feather surface area. A 3 fletch arrow with 5.5" feathers has 16.5" of feather to slow down an arrow, a 4 fletch with 4" feathers has 16" of feather, a 3 fletch of 5" feathers has 15" of feather, and a 4 fletch with 3" feathers has 12" of feather showing. One of the advantages of using four fletch is you can usually get two very nice 4" feathers out of one full length feather, another advantage is that there is no cock feather so you don' t have to worry about how you knock the arrow when shooting. Just like 3 fletch you still have to play around somewhat to make sue you are getting good clearance on your rest. I seriously doubt that anyone could notice any speed difference between a 3x5" and a 4x4" fletched arrow. Try them out and see what you like. I like the 4x4" fletch because its easier to knock an arrow without having to look and be sure you knocked it correct.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:23 AM

I have recently switched to the 4x4" format and have not noticed any significant loss of speed or any gain/loss of stability. I still have several arrows fletched 3x5" .
I' ll probably stay with 4 fletch configuration given the economics ( 2 4" feathers from a single full length one) and the benefit of not having to ' look for' a dedicated cock feather. Besides, I like the appearance of a 4 fletch.

Mark
Old 03-22-2003, 10:06 PM

The primary benefit of 4-fletching your arrows is not having to be concerned with cock feather placement when nocking your arrow. You can use shorter fletching and achieve the same stability as with a longer 3-fletch setup & not significantly affect arrow speed. Another benefit is that you generally get longer wear from a 4 fletch setup (in my experience) since ther is no dedicated cock feather. For the most partit is a wash, except as LBR noted, it does take longer to fletch them.

I use both, but prefer the looks of a good 5-5.5 inch high shield cut & normally use them. I do believe the 4 fletch to be more efficient, all things considered, but that doesn' t mean I prefer them. Personal taste is important too!
Old 03-23-2003, 07:14 AM

I went to four fletch awhile back, and like it. It does stabilize the arrow a hair quicker on a muffed release. I am using 4" 90 degree helical.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

I use 3X5" . As for the cock feather on the if fletching 3 feathers it doesn' t make any difference if it is in or out with the bows I have tried. The feathers are so forgiving unlike the plastic vanes. Now keep in mind I have only tried 4 bows with the cock feather in.

Eric