Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Opening morning doe

Old 09-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Opening morning doe

Thanks everyone

ORIGINAL: dogboy900

Nice!
You obviously got an exit wound there as well, was it a complete pass through?

And just out of interest what sort of gear were you using arrow weight, broadhead, bow make and draw weight?

I thought you were going to be using your bamboo backed longbow this season? Or am I confused there?
I had left the bamboo osage bow at home. I decieded to pike it and had to finish the tips off. It is now pulling 68lbs @ 28". Ill be using her the rest of the season. This bow is a recurve I copied from an older one I had.I just beefed it up more than the original. It is a yew lam under glass. It is 63lbs at 28" It stacks to about 67-68lbs at my draw lenght. I was using carbon express arrows that I weighted to get 13 grain per inch. With Magnus two blade broadheads, 125grain. Arrow is around 620+grains. I shot her at a little under 20 yards. It was a complete pass through. It was an easy pass through. The arrow went in behind the diaphram, through the liver, though both lungs and through the aorta then out the brisket. Just bearly missed the clavicle. It had nothing really stopping it.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Kanga

Mate.

What was the acorns like where you are?

We where in Nugent and the ground was covered with them and still a lot of green ones on the oaks.

I have never seen them drop this early before.
My land has not oak trees on it. A small patch of shinnery, but it does not produce many acorns. Yea, Nugent is eat up with oak trees. I drove through Nugent last night. I had to take the daughter to Abilene for a doctors appointment and we drove home on 600. Just by Fort Pantom, through Nugent thenUp toStamford and on home. I like to take 600 sometimes. Im only 45min away from Nugent. I actually will hunt not far from there in Moran. My uncle has some land there..
Old 09-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think what happened to greg and peewee at Nugent is Russ forgot to shower...he's infamous for that!Get spellcheck Russ...it's boar.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get spellcheck Russ...it's boar.
Nah I was right I thought it was you coming in and well you bore everyone
Old 09-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Burnie, I look forward to seeing you be successful with a bow I have watched you make.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Dogboy
this bow is one I built a few years back. It is a glass lam recurve. Its the only bow ive ever used yew on. I just copied the design from an old recurve I had. I just finish pikeing my osage bow, and am in the middle of a take down ipe bow. Ill be hunting the rest of the season with an osage bamboo bow.