Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Traditional Bows Not Efficient Enough >

Traditional Bows Not Efficient Enough

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Traditional Bows Not Efficient Enough

Old 09-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Traditional Bows Not Efficient Enough

In northern VA there is an organization called Suburban Whitetail Management, they only allow compounds and crossbows, but they hunt year round on damage stamps. I went to qualify with them today and passed. Here's the rub, I ask the guy running the testing why only compounds and crossbows? His reply wasthatthey feel that traditional bows are not efficient enough,what they are looking for is a quick clean kill with pass throughs. I said to him that I had been shooting recurves for 45 year and hunting with them for 30. I said if you shoot a 50 or 60 pound bow with a 500 or 600 grain arrows, pass throughs are the norm and a compound won't kill them any quicker. Well he got a real sour look on his face and before I ruined my chances of being accepted into the group I figured Rob you better shut up now! I guess it's their bat and ball and if I want to play in their game I have to follow their rules. Beside my wife was nice enough to go out and buy for mea nice compound, sights, quiver, release,rest, arrows and points just so I could get to go "play with some new friends". Got to LOVE that woman!

End of story...if I get accepted into the group I'll no longer be limited to Quantico Marine Base to hunt. I can still use my beloved recurves all hunting season and get a crack at some REALLY BIG urban bucks the rest of the time. I'll also be able to put a lot of venison in the Hunters for the Hungry program.

I can shoot a compound but it doesn't mean I have to like it.[:'(]
That sound like Quigley and pistols.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Traditional Bows Not Efficient Enough

Well,if I couldnt hunt with my recurves or longbows I wouldn't play their game.But it's your choice so enjoy the hunting and fill some tags.Does the guy running the test think that bow hunting has only been around for the last 30yrs(or however long compounds have been around)?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Boy he would of gotten an earful from me and then some!! There's allot of bow hunters that shoot compounds/crossbows that will agree with this guy, that's the sad part![>:] I wouldn't be playing there game either!!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Fork Horn

My opinion is go play their game, have some fun, donate some meat, and make some new friends. I realize their attitude is ignorant but ignorance is just lack of knowledge and can be changed.

Make some new friends and get together to shoot, when you do this bring alon some trad gear and let them try it. I believe that alot of todays bowhunters have never had the experience of shooting a traditional bow.

With the media today putting so much emphasis on speed that many of the younger bowhunters look at traditional gear as glorified sling shots.

It will be easier to change their minds as a friend rather than trying to bully through it.

The catch more flys with honey than vinegar sort of thing.
Just my thoughts

Rogue
Old 09-18-2008, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: va bowbender

In northern VA there is an organization called Suburban Whitetail Management, they only allow compounds and crossbows, but they hunt year round on damage stamps. I went to qualify with them today and passed. Here's the rub, I ask the guy running the testing why only compounds and crossbows? His reply wasthatthey feel that traditional bows are not efficient enough,what they are looking for is a quick clean kill with pass throughs. I said to him that I had been shooting recurves for 45 year and hunting with them for 30. I said if you shoot a 50 or 60 pound bow with a 500 or 600 grain arrows, pass throughs are the norm and a compound won't kill them any quicker. Well he got a real sour look on his face and before I ruined my chances of being accepted into the group I figured Rob you better shut up now! I guess it's their bat and ball and if I want to play in their game I have to follow their rules. Beside my wife was nice enough to go out and buy for mea nice compound, sights, quiver, rest, arrows and points just so I could get to go "play with some new friends". Got to LOVE that woman!

End of story...if I get accepted into the group I'll no longer be limited to Quantico Marine Base to hunt. I can still use my beloved recurves all hunting season and get a crack at some REALLY BIG urban bucks the rest of the time. I'll also be able to put a lot of venison in the Hunters for the Hungry program.
Hey it's for a good cause, and you get to have fun and meet new folks. And if your wife was nice enough to get youa new compound it's all the better!That's the stuff that dreams are made of right there[8D]

ORIGINAL: va bowbender

I can shoot a compound but it doesn't mean I have to like it[:'(]
That sound like Quigley and pistols.
Yup, he never said he couldn't shoot one... Just that he never had a use for one.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some people are real set in their ways and are very closed minded. Their way is the only way. Don' blame you a bit for doing what you did to get access.

Did you ask if it is OK to use the compound without a sight or any accessory? I bet that would open a can of worms.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Some people are real set in their ways and are very closed minded. Their way is the only way. Don' blame you a bit for doing what you did to get access.

Did you ask if it is OK to use the compound without a sight or any accessory? I bet that would open a can of worms.
No I didn't ask but that might have been a real good question.
I'd have to practice a lot more to qualify barebow compound and I wouldn't want it to screw up my mental sight picture for shooting instinctive traditional.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

I don't want to turn this into a wheelie bow thread or condemnation of shortsightedness on their part. I would like to hear good sound discussion on how to logically convince them as to the effectiveness and accuracy of traditional tackle.

Rogue had good advice "Make some new friends and get together to shoot, when you do this bring along some trad gear and let them try it. I believe that a lot of todays bowhunters have never had the experience of shooting a traditional bow.

With the media today putting so much emphasis on speed that many of the younger bowhunters look at traditional gear as glorified sling shots.

It will be easier to change their minds as a friend rather than trying to bully through it."

My ability: at 20 yards squirrels are in GREAT PERIL.

The qualifing target is a 6" circle (about the size of a lid from a large coffee can) not a paper plate or the kill zone of a 3D. You must get2 out of 3 arrows at 20 yards and at 30 yards using the broadheads that you will hunt with.
Anyone that wants a copy of the target can send me their e-mail address and I will send them the .pdf or .jpeg.
Make no mistake it's pretty tough.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe there was an actualstudy done which showed the wounded rate of whitetails concerning trad/compound equipment. Ask Arthur P., I heard about it from him.

Also, I think that traditional is better because hunting situations are just not the same as target or 3-d situtations. A traditional archer is able to get that quick (or relatively quick) shot off because of the physical demands of the equipment, it is something that it always practiced. The compound maybe better in situations where a longer aiming time is available. In the hunting woods, I think a lot of compounders feel rushed to get the shot off, where at the same time a trad hunter may feel it was more then enough time. Those "rushed" compound shots could actually lead to more wounded animals. I think that mistakes are compounded with a compound (punn intended). I actually feel I am at an advantage using trad equipment.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

His reply wasthatthey feel that traditional bows are not efficient enough,what they are looking for is a quick clean kill with pass throughs.
It never surprises me how ignorant folks can be. What's really bad though ismost won't take the time to educate themselves about the truth of the matter.

Quick Reply: Traditional Bows Not Efficient Enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.