Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Traditional Bows Not Efficient Enough >

Traditional Bows Not Efficient Enough

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Traditional Bows Not Efficient Enough

Old 09-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Traditional Bows Not Efficient Enough

BobCo is correct there was a study done in 1987 my Missouri researchers that found that traditional archers wounded less deer than compound shooters. A quote frome one of the resarchers.

"Primitive archers,however, are probably unique [in that] they likely know the limitations of their weapons better, take closer shots,and [may be] more conscientious about shot selection.

I found this information in Timeless Bowhunting by Roy S. Marlow

I still belive they would be more open if the subject was brought up by a friend.

Rogue
Old 09-23-2008, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Just got back from the interview. A very good point was made by the president as far as trad vs compound and their rule. He said it has mostly to do with public perception. Joe & Jane Public will and do view high tech tools as "better equipment". This organization is NOT a "hunting club" they are nuisance control and operate year round. In order to please the public they must appear to operate at the highest level. As most of us know, a lot of people question the ability to really be able to hunt with "those things."
Old 10-02-2008, 10:25 AM

Dang, bowbender...that last post kinda ruined my idea, as it's a legitimate point. (Honestly, it's pretty smart too.)

What I was GOING to say is that you go ahead and play along. Get your trad setup ready to go with a 3 BLADE head. (This is so that the many different feelings about 2-blade vs 3-blade don't come back to bite you.)

After some good friendships are made, bring the topic up again when there are some carcasses around. In a sense of fun and curiosity, throw the idea that you all compare your trad equipment with compound equipment at 25yards. Place a "fresh" broadhead target or sandbox behind the carcass and go at. I think we all agree that many/most will be suprised by the results.

Now, I know you've already got a compound system up and running but if the club works out for the long run look at the onieda bows. I've never handled one in real life. They may draw more like a wooden bow...I doubt it since they essentially use the same cams as normal compounds. Monster bows make something similar, but they're all shoot-thru cable designs and have extremely high let-off. Neither seem like a good option for traditional style shooting.

It pains me to say it, but a "modern" traditional bow with a metal riser and camo paint may go along way when dealing with public perception. (Like a Hoyt Dorado or Gamemaster and the PSE coyote, or a cheap "sleeper" bow I've heard about on another forum, the Quinn Stallion. The stallion isn't made in camo, but it's cheap enough that you could drop another $100 on a camo job and still be ahead of the game.)

There's my $0.02 of thinking out loud.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Their reasoning behind going compound is that they are not able to hunt successfully with no sights and no let off. It's easy to hold that compound and wait for the animal to turn for a shot. I used to hunt with an oneida strike eagle with no sights but it pulls the same as a compound but the release is different. I hunt with a recurve now but I am considering buying a longbow. Point is they do what they do because they won't or can't do it the other way.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Rob! Have fun busting those deer in the offseason.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since I still shoot both, I hold no bias towards compounds as many here obviously do. I had a real good post brewing in my head until vabowbender came in with the organizations reasons for no trad gear. I am very familiar with a similar organization that runs a highly scrutinized program here in Pittsburgh. I’ve thought about joining many times over, but they have to jump thru so many hoops, I’m just not sure how fun it would be. Public perception is HUGE. They’d get slaughtered if they tried to let trad guys have at it.

Bobco
I wish I could bring myself to your mentality regarding trad gear. Maybe I just need more time and ability to achieve that comfort level, but right now, there ain’t an OUNCE of my being that feels better equipped with my longbow than I do with my Bowtech. It just ain’t happening. Yea I am confident enough to hunt with it, & I’ll take a shot out to 18 yds or so without hesitation, but if I was dumped into an unknown hunting scenario and had to make that shot count for a million $, I’m going to have the compound.
I will agree about one thing, that I do feel many compound shooters take forever to shoot and force themselves into a rushed situation. I think it is foolish to be that way. Practicing a quick draw, anchor, aim, release should be essential in ones preparation for the season. Yet I think so few do it.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I can only laugh. If you talk to gun hunters, bows period are not effective enough, talk to crossbow hunters and compounds are not effective enough, talk to compound shooters and trad bows are not effective enough. It goes on and on and on and on. NOt all, just making a point.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rogue

BobCo is correct there was a study done in 1987 my Missouri researchers that found that traditional archers wounded less deer than compound shooters. A quote frome one of the resarchers.

"Primitive archers,however, are probably unique [in that] they likely know the limitations of their weapons better, take closer shots,and [may be] more conscientious about shot selection.

I found this information in Timeless Bowhunting by Roy S. Marlow

I still belive they would be more open if the subject was brought up by a friend.

Rogue
I can remember when the compound movement started and people did not like the idea of compounds being used for hunting.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since I still shoot both, I hold no bias towards compounds as many here obviously do.
Hah?
Old 10-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

I can only laugh. If you talk to gun hunters, bows period are not effective enough, talk to crossbow hunters and compounds are not effective enough, talk to compound shooters and trad bows are not effective enough. It goes on and on and on and on. NOt all, just making a point.
The cheese stands alone

Quick Reply: Traditional Bows Not Efficient Enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.