Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Sometimes I need a good kick in the arse.. >

Sometimes I need a good kick in the arse..

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 PM

Default Sometimes I need a good kick in the arse..

The last few weeks I've been broadheads only... The crappy thing about shooting broadheads is they let you know that you aren't nearly as good as you thought you were I've been struggling a bit lately with form issues. Sloppy releases, dropping the bow arm..... Last night it came to the boiling point where every other arrow was hitting 6 inches to the left at 20yds..... I was pissed... Frustrated, you name it......

Then out of nowhere a little voice in my head said "push pull idiot" DUH! At that moment I realized I had spent the last 3 weeks shooting without doing any pushing and VERY little pulling..... About 10 consecutive bullseyes later I'm patting myself on the back for being such a good shooter. [8D]

The point of all this? Just reminding some of you how vitally important the push/pull is to good shooting... Broadheads do not lie, they show imperfections not picked up by your fieldtips..... Don't wait until the day before season to try them out!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sometimes I need a good kick in the arse..

Push/Pull is just one form style not the only one. My friend will always draw from a fixed position bow arm and he's deadly accurate from zero to hell and back yardage. I can't do it though, I push/pull too.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hope you weren't anticipating an argument on that. [8D]
Old 09-10-2008, 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: va bowbender

Push/Pull is just one form style not the only one. My friend will always draw from a fixed position bow arm and he's deadly accurate from zero to hell and back yardage. I can't do it though, I push/pull too.

When I say push/pull I don't refer to a shooting style, I refer to an application of form... Slightly pushing the bow arm towards the target and never stoping the pull with my back muscles.... For me, I have to do that to be accurate whether I snap shoot or hold for 5 seconds.. Its really the only way I've found to maintain back tension.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes all it takes is a set back when you are really pushing yourself hard.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was in that position 2 weeks ago. My arrows were flopping like 15" Red Lake Crappies on the ice. I was pissed but some help from the guys here in the Traditional forum straightened me out for the most part. Usually when I'm screwing something up Its as simple as a basic thing. The basics mean so much and often get over looked at times. I know I sure did and I've been shooting these bows for 20+ years. It feels good when you figure out the problem that's for sure.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Spike

For some reason I shoot broadheads better than field points. I'm thinking I concentrate more and shooting only one arrow and then retrieving it also helps.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I went through the same thing last night. For about 12 shots I was all over the place. Bad releases and pulling my bow arm. If I had any hair I'd be pulling it out! I had the same revelation about push/pull and things improved dramaticly. I was seriously considering not shooting from 20 but moving in to 15 and staying there. I'm glad my brain still works sometimes!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to remind myself to relax and it's supposed to be fun practicing...and ignore the pins and concentrate on where I want to hit.Then it all comes together.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I do the same thing sometimes. Get sloppy and have to go through my form all agian. Long ago, I told myslef when things are going bad, put it up. It really helps. I put the bows down, relax, and go through my form in my head and identify what im doing wrong. My biggest problem, and its been a reoccurring problem for many years, is to remember to release with back tension. Its easy forme to get sloppy and pluck my string.