Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Hi all, new to site

Old 09-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Spike

Default Hi all, new to site

Im new to hunting and new to shooting a bow. I recently had a buddy sell me one of his old bows. A bear kodiak. He helped me tune it and set up arrows for it. Ill be shooting 125 grain first cut broad heads and 125 gran field points. I have been practicing all summer and have not got my skills down, so i will probably wait a season before I feel good enough to shoot at an animal. Im going to tag a long with my buddy and learn the ropes, or so to say. I just wanted to post here and say thanks to everyone who posts. Ive been reading along, and searching for answers to questions I have. And I have been able to find the answers here with the search function. This is a great site with a wealth of information. Ill be sure to post more and often.

Derk
Old 09-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hi all, new to site

Derk.

Welcome aboard the forum and to the great sport of bow hunting.

Sit back grab a cold one and feel free to jump in any time the water here is pretty good with a lot of knowledgeable people, just remember there is no such thing as a silly question

Old 09-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great place this traditional forum is, top notch guys and gals! Welcome aboard!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. I appreciate the welcome. Like I said, ive already learned a load, and will keep on.

One question. Im new to hunting. Ive never shot a gun and only shot this recurve limbed bow that I bought. Would you suggest I get a compound to learn. It seems like the compounds are easier to shoot. Some of the guys ive talked to at the archery tell me they harvested their first deer after just a little practice. And I notice that my buddy, and myself are the only ones who ever shoot with traditional bows at the archery. Everyone else has more gadgets and gizmos on their bows and can dot an i with thier arrows. My buddy can shoot as well with his long bow, but he has been doing it since he was a kid. Should I look into a compound, or stick with my traditional bow? I will have to admit, I love the notion of using a more primative tool. Just curious if the knowledge gained with a compound would be of an advantage. Or if it would cause me to build bad habits.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Would you suggest I get a compound to learn. It seems like the compounds are easier to shoot.
It all depends on what you want to do. If you have a need for a deer fast, then I would say to go with a compound. I do believe someone can become proficient faster with a compound. But, I don't believe shooting a compound will help much in shooting your recurve. Personally I shoot traditional because compounds are just not any funfor me. They seem foreign in my hand compared to a traditional bow.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Spike

Thanks Bob
I can wait. Ill keep shooting my bow and watch and learn.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Welcome. Great to see new faces.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Tox

Welcome Darkarrow. Tox