Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

String question

Old 03-04-2003, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default String question

If I remember right there is somebody in here that makes flemish strings. I have a question for you. My son decided to make his own strings and so naturally I had him make me a couple for some of my bows. The strings looked great and I put one on my recurve and one on my longbow, set the nocking points and the brace heights and headed out to shoot. I' ve been doing this for more than 35 years and all I' ve ever had to do was set the nocks and brace and go. Well the arrows off my recurve bounced up and down so hard that they actually slapped my bow. (aluminum arrows). No matter what I did they bounced. I then took my longbow and cedars and shot it. My broadheads flew perfect except impacted a foot to the left at 20 yds. and my judo points flew great but impacted a foot to the right at 20 yds. Regardless of what I did I never got the arrows to fly the same. I put my old strings back on and they all fly great again. He said he had added extra material in the loop areas for strength, other than that they were the same number of strands as my old ones. Any thoughts??
Old 03-04-2003, 12:18 PM

Default RE: String question

Other than the brace height being correct and making sure you used the correct number of strands for your bow weight there' s not much else. New flemish strings will creep a good bit, did you check the brace again after you strung it up?
Old 03-04-2003, 12:26 PM

Just a thought. Did your son make the strings out of the same material as your old strings. If you go from fastflight to dacron or viseversa you could be under or over spined on your arrows with the new strings. Don
Old 03-04-2003, 02:16 PM

LBR (Chad), TroynOH and several others make strings. I' m sure they can help.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:40 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Right now I am puzzled--I' ve never heard of changing strings causing that much of a difference (not doubting you, I' ve just never experienced it). The only thing I can think of it what Don said--did he use a different material?

Chad
Old 03-04-2003, 04:07 PM

I make at least one string a day and I' ve never had that happen. I' m wondering what he means by extra material in the loops? I missed that the first time I responded.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:25 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Coop, a lot of stringmakers put extra strands in the loops when using 450+, Dynaflight, etc (myself included) to pad the loops. Some bowyers require it, especially if the body of the string is tiny, such as the 6-strand 450+ strings that come on Shrew bows. I usually use 12 strands of 450+ with 14-15 strands in the loops, or 14-15 strands of Dynaflight ' 97 with 16-18 strands in the loops. This shouldn' t have any effect on how the string performs though.

Chad
Old 03-04-2003, 05:01 PM

Hmm...I can honestly say I' ve never heard of that before. Learn something new everyday :-)
Old 03-04-2003, 06:47 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-06-2003, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

I want to thank all of you who responded but I' m still puzzled. To answer some of your questions: yes the string materials are the same. (B50), the strands are the same, (18), Yes my nock points and brace heights are the same. After writing you guys my son said he saw some bad arrow flight off his bow with his new string too. I had him put his old one on and not only did the bad flight go away but his accuracy improved greatly. He said he just thought it was his shooting that was a little off. If some of you string makers would give me your addresses I' d like to but a couple strings. E-mail me. Thanks!