Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 bow string question >

bow string question

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow string question

Old 09-29-2007, 03:54 PM

Default bow string question

hi all,
i have a question about strings....can they strech enough to lose 5lbs on the draw weight?....my limbs are maxed and reading 65lbs.
also will twisting the string help untill i get a new one? is twisting a good idea?

thanks
otto
Old 09-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bow string question

Most definatly they can , though its probably the cable that sliped assuming you have a single camed bow
Old 09-29-2007, 07:09 PM

what do you mean by cable slipped....yes it is a single cam bow

otto
Old 09-29-2007, 07:50 PM

he might mean the cable stretched, when it does you will loose poundage and would have to put some twist in the cable to get your poundage back. if the string stretched you would have gained a little poundage.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:14 PM

ohhhhh i c ....ok great thanks..see i learned something today

i'm going to get new strings and cables anyway......i was curious....thanks guys

otto
Old 09-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

More than likely the string AND cable crept (not stretched), although the string will creep moe than the cable. If just the string creeps the weight goes up and the draw length gets longer. If both creep then it reduces the preload on the lombs and the weight goes down, as does the brace height.

You want some good strings? Get hold of Gibblet on this site. He makes some of the best---at any cost. And his prices are reasonable.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:32 PM

ok i will..........i was just looking for strings online.........i do have nocks 4 inches from a limb as per bowtechs design..does gibblet do that aswell? or do i add them later when string is installed?.

i also went to the garage and put 3 twists in the cable.........i'm up to 68 i am guessing the rule of thumb is 1 pound per twist

thanks again

otto
Old 09-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just depending on what all has crept and how much twisting the cable will increase the draw weight. However it also makes the draw length longer. How many twist you need will depend on how much creep has occurred and how how many twists are already in the cable to start with. You just have to experiment. What you may end up doing is twisting the cable and the string to put more prestress on the limbs while maintaining proper cam orientation.

If you want to put nocksets on the string then have at it. Nobody makes strings with them already on the string. And I never found them necessary in the first place. You'll be quite pleased with Gibblet's strings. Much better than anything you're likely to see from the factory. And way better than Zebra strings.