Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Easton Alum Chart For Recurves? >

Easton Alum Chart For Recurves?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Easton Alum Chart For Recurves?

Old 06-22-2008, 06:35 AM

Default RE: Easton Alum Chart For Recurves?

Geez thats AWFUL heavy though isn't it? Wouldn't that change the FOC too way or make the arrow unstable or way too front-heavy?

?
Old 06-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would hate to have to buy 1/2 dz of 2-3 differant shafts to find ONE that works! Thats gonna be pretty expensive!
Would you rather be buying a half dozen of all one size, based on a chart or our semi-educated guesses, and finding out the whole bunch don't work? Like Chad said, all anyone can do is help you focus in on a ball park range of sizes. We can make our best guess or tell you what works for us with a setup similar to your specs, but what YOU need might be one or two sizes either way from that. This is one of those oddball things where you spend money now to save yourself even more money in the long run.

With FOC, the more front heavy the arrow is, the more stable it is. Look at darts. They are really fat and heavy up front and taper off to nearly nothing at the fins. You can throw a dart backwards but it will immediately flip and stabilize going forward. Same principle with javelins. Same with arrows.

Some people claim that a really high FOC arrow will fly nose down. That's complete rubbish. Once the arrow stabilizes after it leaves the bow and finishes paradox, the tail of the arrow is going to directly follow the point. The only way it won't is if the FOC is too low. A heavy point will add to the total arrow weight, and it's total arrow weight that determines what speed and trajectory you'll get from a given bow.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:53 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Scoobiedoo

Geez thats AWFUL heavy though isn't it? Wouldn't that change the FOC too way or make the arrow unstable or way too front-heavy?

?
No such thing in this world. I desire 20%. Makes it more stable. And besides, I am a hunter, I hunt 20 yards.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:43 PM

I shot the recurve today for the first time. Being I don't have any 2016's yet I shot my 2117's and they shot perfectly for me. While I'm sure very stiff maybe G. Fred Asbell HAS something here when HE says that shooting an over-spined arrow generally gives one LESS flight problems than an under-spined arrow! I dunno - they shot quite well and flew perfectly for me! A simple nock adjustment up to 1/2" above zero seemed to be perfect for that arrow with it's 5/16" nock!

: D

Old 07-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Asbell is correct.