Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Easton Spine Chart Stiff ?? >

Easton Spine Chart Stiff ??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Easton Spine Chart Stiff ??

Old 03-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Easton Spine Chart Stiff ??

Has anyone else noticed that Easton's arrow spine selection chart seems to result on the stiff side?
I've changed arrows a couple of times over the years, and set up stuff for friends, and I'm noticing a pattern.

It doesn't seem to matter what weight, arrow length, pt weight, or whether the shooter uses fingers, or a release.
I've even purposely selected arrows on the weak side of the spine class that the chart indicated. Still stiff.
A bare shaft hits way left, and paper shows a big right tear.
Sometimes, I can correct it by adjusting stuff, but then it's way off center and the sight pins end up pretty close to the bow.

Glad I didn't buy a whole dozen arrows this time. Got smart and only bought 2.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Easton Spine Chart Stiff ??

Bulzeye, You're right on the money. A stiff arrow can be tuned to any weight tips, nocks, feathers or vanes. It's when you select a shaft that is much lighter than recommended that tuning problems begin. You can usually select an arrow one to the left of what's recommended in the chart and still be safe, but you may have to fine tune with weight adjustment, nock or tip selection.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have anyone else noticed that Easton's arrow spine selection chart seems to result on the stiff side?
Yup, for me it sure is.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm, makes a guy wonder.
Almost sounds like an intentional error, in order to sell more arrows.

Let's see,
If you find the arrows you just bought are too stiff for your setup what can you do, besides buy new arrows ?...

-Increase draw weight? (but many shooters used their max draw weight to select the arrows in the first place, and would end up over-bowed and sacrifice form and/or a smooth draw.)

-Move rest, or adjust rest tension? (even if there is enough adjustment in your rest to establish decent groups, you'll be way off-center and will still be relying heavily on your fletching to correct the error. A bare shaft will still plane to the left, and so will one with wet feathers.)

-Increase point weight? (but a lot of newer shooters don't want to do ANYTHING that will decrease speed, even if it means poor arrow flight.)

If you don't want to, or can't, do any of the above to fix the problem, you are stuck with buying new arrows since you can't lengthen the shafts to make them act weaker. Their length could only be changed by shortening them which would only make the problem worse.

If Easton would have made the error in the other direction, causing you to select arrows that were a bit too weak in spine, you would be more likely to be able to adjust for it. Funny how the error is the one that makes us buy more arrows.

Aren't these folks at Easton supposed to be the arrow experts?
It seems they are very smart indeed. More than they counted on archers knowing.
Don't get caught. Buy' em on the weak side.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's too stiff. Been that way for years. Maybe it's just me but I have always been able to look at the chart for my weight and drawlength and then move one, maybe two blocks up the chart (for less weight).

Mostly I never even waste my time. I just use the arrow chart for target shooting.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Aren't these folks at Easton supposed to be the arrow experts?
It seems they are very smart indeed. More than they counted on archers knowing.
Don't get caught. Buy' em on the weak side.
Actually a lot has to do with the bow and cam designs. The people to look to take care of the problem are the Bow Manufacturers who could easily test their bow and make recommendations on the arrow spine.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bulzeye, the chart has noting to do with selling more arrows. In fact, just the opposite. You make a selection from that chart and you have the correct arrow spine for your particular set up. Your arrow purchase will match your cam, draw weight and length. It's when a shooter considers speed is more important the accuracy that a set up is hard to tune, if at all, and are alway having problems with stings, cables, noise and limbs because of shooting arrows too light for their particular set up.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

You make a selection from that chart and you have the correct arrow spine for your particular set up.
Not always.

I think we are talking about spine (deflection) and not weight. Note that there is not a constant correlation to weight per inch and spine in Easton Alumunums. Take for example a 2020 and compare to a 2512.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think its on the week side , and pick a shaft from the box to the right and have good results . As mentioned before a week shaft plays hell with consistency , especially with broad-heads . A slightly stiff shaft on the other hand usually works fine .
Old 03-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ijimmy, what are you calling a stiff shaft though? Is it how it is put on the Easton Chart? Or is it how it tunes to your particular bow? I say this because I believe that the perfect spined arrow will be the one that tunes perfectly though the centershot. When I achieve this, I would say the the arrow is not underspined or overspined for my setup. But when I compare that shaft to what the Easton Charts tells me, I am usually underspined as the Easton Chart reads.

Quick Reply: Easton Spine Chart Stiff ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.