Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

By to a great forum

Old 02-21-2003, 08:59 PM

Default By to a great forum

Just wanted to take a moment to probably say good by due to more than likely being banned due to a post on the IBO forum over a Martin archery add. Just could not stand by without defending this guy for saying what he believed in and seeing the personal attacks that developed latlely. So glad to say I never saw that on this forum. You are a great bunch of people with a knowledge base second to none and I wanted to say thank you for all that I have learned from you despite long years in archery and as a traditionalist. LBR you run a great ship here but these guys make it pretty easy (must be a traditional thing) Hope to see/meet some of you in the future and shoot a round or hunt a bit. If I go I go, no regrets at least I said (gently to me) what I feel and just did not feel that I could say nothing when it got to the point it did. Good hunting, good shooting, never give up the sticks, the last bastion of real archery.Darryl Payne, aka Darryl Longbow, hey Greyghost hope to meet you some time, you can discuss with passion and are always a gentleman, a rare combination nowdays it seems.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: By to a great forum

What' d you do now? Disagree with someone and you' re getting kicked? What is this? Iraq?

Brandan
Old 02-22-2003, 10:11 AM

Default hey buddy I hear you!

Hi Darryl,

join the club!

I think I' ve been kicked off every board at one point or another for what I did not consider flaming.

IF you can stand and idiot (me) giving hard learned advice keep reading.

It' s generally better to just ignore foolishness. I know it' s easy to say and not practice.

The technique I use now is to email directly, don' t involve the board at all in a possible confrontation.

For every poster there is probably 10 that are just reading, the yahoo that sets you off is most defintely the minority. Near as we can tell in three generations of guiding folks we find that less than 1% of people are jerks, mean, or un-trustworthy, that' s a pretty good percentage that are good decent folks like we try to be!

I also make it a point now to never write a reply the same day to something that cranks me up.

I thought I learned that a number of years ago by tearing into Gerry Stewart from the then Stewart game calls co. I ended a hunt and had a problem with all my stewart stuff that day making me look like an amateur in front of my clients---there' s that ugly pride thing---- and as luck would have it I ran into mr. stewart online.

I went up one side of him and down the other. he said nothing but sent me a private written letter full of apologies and the sentiment that he never answers email or letters that make him mad until a few days go by just because he is likely to fly off the handle.

A nice gentle way of saying, hey, Bob you were out of line.

Well, he was right, and I looked every bit the idiot I was. Nothing makes you look worse than acting like the person you are not, and never want to be, while the guy taking the verbal beating stands there and acts hurt.

Computers are a huge PITA, mainly because you can' t tell tone in writing well, unless the writer is a gifted wordsmith, which most of us are not.

unfortunately from what I see boards are a faceless version of the local watering hole or gun shop. And where most people will not continue a peeing contest face to face they will make it a ' look at me' discussion on the internet.

myself included. remeber that lesson I thought I learned?

As soon as I am man enough to call a fellow bowhunter near me I need to apologize for tearing him up on another bow board.

I still disagree with what I consider to be foolish advice that may get the other guy landed in jail or shot, but it served no purpose to tell him that and not simply email the hunter being advised.

gotta watch that pridefulness thing and be able to walk away with two slaps to the face. I' m pulling for ya, we are all a work in progress.

Old 02-22-2003, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

Brother I read your post as I was curious about what you had done to earn such a punishment. What I have to say is THANKS FOR YOUR OPPINION! All you did was stand up for your belief, it is only natural to defend yourself. What alot of people forget is we all don' t look, act, or think alike, if we did what a boring world this would be. God did not make us single minded organisms (that would be the sponge family). Keep your wit and try to find the patience of Christ (the last my pastor told me when I made reference to the military political mess). I welcome you here anytime.
Vern Pratt
a.k.a. no where near perfect.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

Must be some post. I didn' t go in and read it, but it seems to me that this site isn' t as hard core as most of the other sites, so maybe they' ll surprise you and handle it in a good way instead of trying to do a knock off of that bowsite place and ban you.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:06 PM

Thank all of you for your kind words and good advice, the gentleman I was having the dispute with and I have both grown up a bit and got our heads out of our backsides and its time to get back to the sport we all love, Thank you again.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ah come on Mike, thats why we go to the bowsite/stickbow, to be outcasts and sent here to this solitude island of lost souls [X(]
Old 02-23-2003, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

You' ll be okay, Darryl. Don' t worry about it.

By the way, I LIKED the ad. Frankly, the girl isn' t wearing a lot fewer clothes than some of the women wear around here in hot weather months. Her bikini is probably even considered kinda prudish if you go further south and get down around Padre Island.